What's new

Sheet metal - can't change flange length..

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I'm sure there's a way round this but I'm stumped for now..

I want to change the length of all the flanges on this box to make it shallower but when I go to edit the design tree the length in the dialogue box is greyed out and I can't change it.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

Attachments

• cover (Medium).jpg
    cover (Medium).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 102

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Aha!
I went round and changed all the flange lengths by editing the sketches - is that the only way to do it..?

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Yup.

If you're feeling fancy you can edit those sketches to resemble the final design instead of making a separate Cut. Just try not to mess with the bend line when you do that.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
Aha!
I went round and changed all the flange lengths by editing the sketches - is that the only way to do it..?
You got it. For now that is the way to edit the flange lengths. :shock: I think that has been entered in as an enhancement request more than once. And it has been discussed here in the past. I don't know what the reason is for not making the length editable in the flange dialog, it seems such a logical thing to do. But we'll have to wait and see if it is "fixed" in the future.

HaroldL

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Well I'm no computer software programmer, but I know a little about how it works (I took a QBASIC class in middle school :mrgreen: ). I would think that if you keep the ability to change the leg length in the Flange tool, you'd most likely have to lose the ability to custom edit the sketch for the leg. The flange tool spits out that dimension in the sketch, the immediately disassociates from it to leave the door open for you to come in and edit the sketch for the leg. If you edited the sketch, you'd also have to be able to reassociate one of your new sketch dimensions with Leg Length. But then, what if you're making a leg with a curved edge like a mounting ear, or it's got an angle...I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I just don't think there's a practical way to do it.

Just my $0.02/£0.01/E0.01/¥2, whatever. 8)

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
What about using the Equation editor? That would save at least having to open up the sketch.

OTE_TheMissile said:
(I took a QBASIC class in middle school :mrgreen: )

And thanks for making me feel old...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I took a True Basic class in middle school. Then took VB class in high school and later VB.NET class in college. But I have learned more on my own then in these classes. I didn't have high speed internet at home so I surfed the web during class and did my class work at home. I guess that explains the origins of why I'm on here now and not working. :shock:

BTW: To really feel dated check out this:
http://oreilly.com/news/graphics/prog_lang_poster.pdf
or
http://www.levenez.com/lang/history.html
Neither of these have all of the languages but you get the :idea:.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I was crazy for that stuff back then. Downloaded a couple of games that'd give an old NES a run for its money.

Anywho...

edbardet

:D I'm insulted by those charts - one heck of a lot of good work was done before those "Languages" came along. BAP, FAP, Assembler, Autocoder, EasyCoder, and even Machine Language. Until you've machine language debugged at a console, you haven't programmed. While you are at it, try writing and running a 'one card' 'Chinese binary' program.
Ed (The old fart)