What's new

Sheet Metal - Flange Error

RwSkinner

I'm designing a gutter to catch drippings. I first designed it with no slope to it and everything went fine. Then I started all over and I put a 1/2" slope from one end to the other. I have two issues, most likely related.

When I do this this, I want a 5/8" flange at 45 degrees on the free side wall. Each time I add that 45 deg. flange, when I point it outwards, I see the preview, it looks perfect, then when I click apply, I get an error stating it can't create the bend rule. "SMFLNG_BEND_LAW_FAIL: Unable to Create the bend law."
Now if I bend it inward, no error pops up.

So I thought, since I'm cutting this on a plasma using a flat pattern, it really doesn't matter which way the bend goes for my pattern. Well, when I print the flat pattern, that same flange is way jacked up.

What am I doing wrong? I never had issues with making flanges before, and on the first flange with same dimensions it worked fine. I did have to edit that outboard flange by hand to make it 3.5" on one side and 3" on the other. I may have goofed it up.

Attachments

• Front Gutter Rev 1.AD_SMP
    495.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Front Gutter Rev 1.AD_DRW
    259.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

JamesMC

Weird, I checked the trim side bends option on the flange before the one that's failing, and it worked.o_O

RwSkinner

It looks like the only reason that worked is because it made the flange that was edited to 3" tall on both sides. But if one side is 3.5" tall and the other side is 3" tall, you can't add a flange to it. I believe this is a bug.

I'm trying to keep the top of the gutter level, and only allow the bottom to slope. It's not liking that at all.

Last edited:

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello RwSkinner,

i've spend only a few minutes on another approach, so the dimensions may not be correct, also well as the slope, but the part flattens completely.

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Front_Gutter_Rev_1_forum.AD_SMP
    440.5 KB · Views: 4

RwSkinner

Sure enough, Thanks. I'm studying what all you've done. I see multiple tabs and then the resize of a flange it looks like you did an extrude cut instead of using dimensions to resize it. Thanks again.

Hello RwSkinner,

i've spend only a few minutes on another approach, so the dimensions may not be correct, also well as the slope, but the part flattens completely.

Regards
Stefan

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
RwSkinner,
I don't see any reason for the 45 degree flange to fail. I've never seen an error like it is throwing. You should it to Support for them to analyze.

I did create an example by starting with the bottom as the Tab then created the side flanges. I edited the sketch on the first side to create the slope. I then edited the sketch of the second flange to be Coincident to the top edge of the first side flange. After that the 45 degree flange added with no issues.

Here's the model, you'll need to double check the dimensions of the flat but the model should help with the process.

Attachments

• Front Gutter Example.AD_SMP
    425 KB · Views: 4

JamesMC

I got it to work another way as well, I edited the flange before sketch so the top of the flange is parallel to the reference geometry, seems to work fine.
Not sure if its 100% what you're after.

Attachments

• Front Gutter Rev 1.AD_SMP
    430.5 KB · Views: 2

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

i've not been satisfied with the results...;)
try to modify the sheet metal "slope" sketch from (original):
upload_2020-12-21_11-27-44.png

to

upload_2020-12-21_11-28-13.png

and regenerate the models...
so i've made another attempt...

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Gutter_forum.AD_PKG
    92.5 KB · Views: 3

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Until the OP replies with either further information or a comment on provided comments it seems pointless to keep posting "solutions" to a problem.

I think there should be a "Solution Found" button or the OP should return and add "Solution Found" or "Accepted Solution" to the post title. If I'm not mistaken this may have been suggested before.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Until the OP replies with either further information or a comment on provided comments it seems pointless to keep posting "solutions" to a problem.
- It must not be the first solution which is the "best"...
- some OP's reply late or never...
- maybe it is not only for the OP from interest to see how things can be done...
- if not interested in, it stays your decision to read the post or not...

but something like a button or a flag, to show that there is at least one or more solutions, sound like a good idea:)

Regards
Stefan

RwSkinner

Thanks Harold. Let me take a look at it. Sorry for the late response but I never did get or I missed the notification stating there were new replies.

RwSkinner,
I don't see any reason for the 45 degree flange to fail. I've never seen an error like it is throwing. You should it to Support for them to analyze.

I did create an example by starting with the bottom as the Tab then created the side flanges. I edited the sketch on the first side to create the slope. I then edited the sketch of the second flange to be Coincident to the top edge of the first side flange. After that the 45 degree flange added with no issues.

Here's the model, you'll need to double check the dimensions of the flat but the model should help with the process.

RwSkinner

Actually it kind of ticks me off when I go out of my way to help someone and then never get a response, a thank you or anything s o I try hard not to do that to others. In my case, the first response provided by Stefan got me out of a bind, but it sure seemed like a lot of jumping thru hoops to make something simple work. Stefan got creative indeed and I thanked him multiple times.

I was totally unaware others also responded until I logged in awhile ago.
Thank you for all your efforts. I'm sure there is a bug but I want to download the different approaches and digest them some.

Merry Christmas to you all.
Richard

- It must not be the first solution which is the "best"...
- some OP's reply late or never...
- maybe it is not only for the OP from interest to see how things can be done...
- if not interested in, it stays your decision to read the post or not...

but something like a button or a flag, to show that there is at least one or more solutions, sound like a good idea:)

Regards
Stefan

RwSkinner

Absolutely works fine. Making the bottom rectangle the tab then working up from there worked as intended.
I have to do a few of these so knowing the above is very helpful, and very simple. Thank you.

RwSkinner,