What's new

Sheet metal - How do I create louvres?

Phil

Sheet metal - How do I create louvres?

How on earch can I create louvres in a sheet metal part?

What I'm after is basically a dimple with one side open. I've tried creating a dimple then a cut but this doesnt give me what I want.

Phil

Thats what I need - but I need to be able to create that in the sheet metal part of Alibre. I have a rather complex part I need to insert it on.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

What about making parts and boolean add to sheet metal, then?

Like this;
Thanks to Steve, for sure. :wink:
new_sheetmetal.png

Phil

I had considered that but then I loose all associativity with other parts in the assembly.

Its not a louvre as such that I'm trying to create but a feature that another part hook into. Hence I really need it to relate to the other part.

I'm thinking that it is just not possible :( :roll:

Phil

darn.

In Solidworks you can even design a punch as a part then make your own louvres and dimples. in sheet metal from that.

indesign

Alibre Super User

But isn't sheetmetal in Solidworks an entire package that costs like 3-5K?

Sheetmetal is pretty new for Alibre so my guess is they just haven't had the time yet to get all the cool stuff added. (like ripping from solid)

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Sorry to hear that addition to the existing sheet metal part does not work... The one I have 30 days trial has sheet metal louver and it is modifiable like this. I added fillet at louvers but this did not take too long time to do altogether. My office one does not have this license because it costs like another 3K or something.

cocreatelouver.png

Bob

Since a boolean is not acceptable, could you make your part as an assembly and not join the louver with the part? If you made the hole in the part so that it matches the edge of the louver's filet, it would only add a line on your drawings where the filet line would be anyway. http://www.alibre.com/forum/files/louver.png

Bob

Re:

Sheetmetal is pretty new for Alibre so my guess is they just haven't had the time yet to get all the cool stuff added. (like ripping from solid)[/quote]

I've been waiting since May 2004...

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Oh no! :shock:
What did you do Ralf?
No pay, No reply?
Then only for me. Just a secret.
I pay if I be rich, which ,,won't you guess? no,,, things may happen a miracle.
Please. :wink:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

Ralf - that's great! Quite easy as soon as somebody shows you how.

If we could just combine the 3 features needed into a single catalogue feature - to give a louvre feature...

Just saving the dimple as a catalogue feature gets you nearly there.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hey! There are 9 other Toshi in this forum.
The file is discriminated to non Toshi, OK?
:x

Oh, forget to tell Ralf. Thank you. This is lovely. :wink:

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
In the below post there was a reference to a elegantly simple Louver in four steps, but when I click on the link it gives me an error saying that I dont have the necessary permissions. I suspect that it is due to the recent refomatting of the forum....I noticed the dnlds directory has disappeared

This bit of work was posted by Ralf perhaps he is watching and can repost

Report this postReply with quoteby ralf3 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Louver in 4 steps:

viewtopic.php?p=29016#29016

Thanks for any help or alternate methods
-Jimpulse

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here's a sample part using Ralf's procedure. FYI, One step requires you to activate the Part Modeling tool bar.

Attachments

• Louver Sample.AD_SMP
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • Louver Sample.jpg
    Louver Sample.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 57

Jaime

How do I activate the "Part Modeling" toolbar from the metal sheet space? seems the cut operation is not working due to this..

Thanks!

Jaime

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Under the Feature tab of the main pulldown menu there is a command called Features that is a flyout toolbar containing the part modeling tools.

-jimpulse