What's new

Sheet Metal Loft

GeraldH

Hello,

I need to make a sheet metal loft from an octagon to a square. Is there a tool in Alibre for this?

I can make a loft to round circle (attached) but can't figure out how to do one to a polygon.

Thanks for your help.

Annotation 2020-08-10 113732.jpg

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

Attachments

• DUCT OCT TO SQ 2020.AD_PKG
    160.8 KB · Views: 11

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello colleagues,

what about this:

upload_2020-8-10_20-57-43.png

i've been beaten by Nate, but i have unbend and rebend :D

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• octashell2.AD_PKG
    188 KB · Views: 7

GIOV

Alibre Super User
This is another one that may be help.
Regards,
GIOV
upload_2020-8-10_19-53-20.png
upload_2020-8-10_19-52-29.png
upload_2020-8-10_19-54-19.png

Attachments

• OctashellDuct2-2.AD_PKG
    200.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

GeraldH

Thanks for your help everyone!

I had to draw the transition as a solid part,shell it & convert it to a sheet metal part. After a bunch of unbending errors (and Alibre crashing on me ) . I trimmed all the edges back where bends collided with each other. Now it finally works.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You usually don't need to shell the solid before conversion - you should be able to pick a face, then edges from the solid.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Well,
I do the same duct with Stefan parametric 2D &3D Point that run fantastic but when convert the part in shell metal the Software crash..as show in the screen pic ???
What is my error?
I attached the part file and the spreadsheet in m & mm. In the sheet one are the points and the sheet two are the section area calculation to keep both the same.
upload_2020-8-11_19-51-54.png

Edited: Section area

Attachments

• coordinate_table2.zip
    104.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Giov, I haven't looked at your part but did notice that you do not have "Trim Corner" selected in the Convert dialog. I have had instances in the past that Convert to Sheet Metal failed because of conflicts at adjacent bends. Select "Trim Corner" and try your part again and see if that helps.

Another thing to check is the "Reverse Thickness", you have it selected just check the preview to make sure the material thickness is to the OUTSIDE. I've not had good results with the material preview showing to the inside, I think that creates a more complex part that Alibre cannot handle.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Harold,
Giov, I haven't looked at your part but did notice that you do not have "Trim Corner" selected in the Convert dialog. I have had instances in the past that Convert to Sheet Metal failed because of conflicts at adjacent bends. Select "Trim Corner" and try your part again and see if that helps.

Another thing to check is the "Reverse Thickness", you have it selected just check the preview to make sure the material thickness is to the OUTSIDE. I've not had good results with the material preview showing to the inside, I think that creates a more complex part that Alibre cannot handle.

Thanks for you suggestion, but the shell run good with reverse thickness for more complex solid form like this one with or not trimming the corners . See my post #4. So The matter is that the shell metal feature crash as show above #8 when the solid is from parametric 2D &3D reference points script.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
GIOV,
I ran three tests on your part and all of them killed Alibre - I didn't get the "Alibre has stopped working" notice that you did, it just closed down. The tests I ran were: With the material to the outside; with chamfers applied to each of the corners on the Loft solid before convert to sheet metal and one with Trim corners and material outside.

At first I thought that Alibre was having trouble with the bends coming together at the apex of the edges but trimming back those corners didn't improve the chances any of converting the part. And having the material inside or outside doesn't seem to matter either.

I think this is one for Support to puzzle out to see what is going on -- or not going on that should.

Hi everyone, I know this is an older thread, but I'm new to sheet metal... I just spent most of an afternoon trying to figure out the convert to sheet metal tool using an octagon to square lofted part. Out of about 10 designs, I finally created one successful example after reading your posts. Now I am trying to replicate it and I can't get it to work again. No idea why, I thought I figured it out with your posts and examples and now I feel like I am back to square one. It wont even allow me to select a surface as a tab other than the sketch faces. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Wow thanks for the quick reply. What is best practice to ensure surfaces are planar? I thought I was took the required precautions, but I am definitely second guessing myself now.

Sorry I meant to attach this file below to see if someone could point out what I'm missing. Thanks.

Attachments

• Octagon to Sq.AD_PRT
    285 KB · Views: 2