What's new

Sheet Metal Part w/uneven bend

larswebb

Sheet Metal Part w/uneven bend

Hi Everyone, I am new to alibre Design and have a few questions to ask. Is it possible to to draw a sheet metal part with a uneven side? or one radius on one side and another on the opposite side? I work for a metal stamper that produces many different kinds of brackets for the automotive Industry. Many of the parts we make are hangers or brackets for fuel lines and transmission lines and things like that. I would like to create these with Alibre and unfold them to get the flat blank. Is there somewere that I can find the K factor for various metals?

Thank You,

Larry

larswebb

Thank You Robert, there's a lot of helpful information on those pages. I figured out how to do the uneven flanges although I have trouble with open spots and overlapping lines when I edit the original sketch. I have another question for you is it possible to add a flange to a arc?

Larry

A

Anonymous

I don't mean be insulting but how is that cone useful? The advantage of the sheetmetal option is that you can quickly and easily create flat patterns that can be cut on a cnc laser or plasma cutter. It probably took you longer to model those peices and assemble them than it does to draw a flat pattern in autocad. So wouldn't it be easier to just model a solid part if you just want to show the geometry in your model? I want true cone functionality in Alibre so that I can easily create flat patterns not some extensive workaround that doesn't even get you a usable end product!!!

Robert,
I admire your workaround for the rad flange, but if it won't develop what good is it for sheet metal.
I need the capability to model a flange like this: [http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578]
and to develop it.

I've tried to get my feet wet a little with the AD sheet metal module, but I just keep running into things it or I can't produce.

rbrian

Sheet Metal Cone

Hi Todd, Lenitech:

You are both right - my point was - simply - it is a bit early to get the cone just yet out of the AD sheet metal module -but - with the coming API, if might be something one of US - can build into the module through a 'Plug-in' or ... a big or... enough of us - clammor for the new sheet metal features from the module itself!

In addition - Spring is coming - and with it - V9! Make sure - you ask in the support side of the business - if you need some feature - in house! Another way to put it is this - a lot of things are coming - and - yes - just doing a thin-wall revolve in a part module - is like a 5 second event - compared to this technique I did!!

This was primarily - to say - I did a pyramid in SM - and the 'Stepped' Cone - already - in SM v1.0!! Yes - this is still the first Version of Sheet Metal - not the 8th!! Robert

larswebb

Hello everyone, I have another question I think you can help me with. Is there a way to change the view in the XY plane after the part is completed? I find that when I go to dimension a part in the drawing sometimes the standard views do not show the part in away that I can dimension correctly.

Larry

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

When you create your view (or edit it), just look at the left of the pane and you will see your model, called Front View. You hit the workspace orientation button to choose any standard or user defined orientation as that view. It is that simple. So, if you want to use a plane for a view that is not normal to the workspace, just create an orientation based on that plane in the model and then use that orientation in your drawing when you create a view.