What's new

Sheet metal square to round loft, export to dxf

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I have created a lofted square to round sheet metal part using the Lofted command in sheet metal.
when I did a flat pattern it is not lined up on a planeScreenshot (746).png
this is a frt view.

When I create a drawing, in the preview window of the it, still shows not flat, then I try to rotate it to a flat view but it never lays flat.

. Screenshot (747).png
next I export to dxf so it can be cut with a lazer and when it was cut it would not roll up correctly. I'm not the one who rolls it up but the guy that is making it has 30 years of sheet metal experience and always does this with Autocad.

He has recently purchased Alibre and trying to learn this in Alibre so he can the drawings to be used to cut them out.

other parts with flanges work fine. the square to round loft has us stumped

I have attached the pkg file.
Is this the right way to make a 2d drawing of a sheet metal square to round cone?

Attachments

• Screenshot (749).png
    Screenshot (749).png
    69.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Square to round 42 x35.625.AD_PKG
    596.1 KB · Views: 1

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you want the Unbend state to be flat to one of the default planes then you need to select a Fixed Face that is normal to that plane.
What you have selected will not do that unless you create a New View with that face normal to the Front. (View>Orient>To Plane)
Once you have that orientation then create a New View (View>Orientations), and give it a name you can use in a drawing.

1707533790655.png

BTW,, when you create a drawing just expand the More Options and select Project as flat pattern and it will create the flat correctly oriented. You can rotate the view with the view controls if you want.
Just remember to set the scale to 1:1 for dxf output.

1707534394919.png