What's new

Sheet Metal?

wsimonton

I have run into problem I am struggling with.

I need to create a 5' to 6" Disc which conforms to the locomotive smokebox. The holes for the attaching rivets would be radial to the smokebox.

I do not know sheet metal, but in my head if I did I would approach it thus:

Create a Sheet Metal Disc 6" in diameter and 0.75" thick with the rivet holes and then bend it so the inside surface conforms to a 26.5" radius. Then convert to Part to complete Smokebox Brace.

If one starts with a circular Rod 6" in diameter and cuts the back and front the edges do not conform vertically to the Smokebox.on the top and bottom.

Be aware I did not proceed with the latest update in December 2018 as this is a hobby which Alibre's original low cost version prompted me to purchase, so I cannot directly import a part produced in the most recent December 2018 edition.

A pdf of the location and profile of the brace is attached.

Attachments

• Boiler Brace.pdf
    338.4 KB · Views: 26

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
BoilerDisk Sheet Metal Part (1).jpg

Attachments

• BoilerDisk Sheet Metal Part (1).jpg
    BoilerDisk Sheet Metal Part (1).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 21
  • BoilerDisk Sheet Metal Part-8 (1).zip
    388.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BoilerDisk Sheet Metal Part-8 (1).zip
    388.7 KB · Views: 9

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I need to create a 5' to 6" Disc which conforms to the locomotive smokebox. The holes for the attaching rivets would be radial to the smokebox.
Rather than making a bunch of screen shots and trying to caption all the steps I made a short "warts and all" video to show how I would approach making this part. Let me know if this helps. Click here to view.
BTW, I don't know how Oldbelt made his part since none of the files were viewable.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
HaroldL
My files can be unzipped and the 9 steeps seen.
Bill ask for a sheet metal solution and thats what I made!!.
Your approch is more or lees the "standard" to made a solid model!.

wsimonton

Thanks to both of you for your solutions to my problem. I will post my result (partially complete) when done.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My files can be unzipped and the 9 steeps seen.
I unzipped them but when I tried to open them I got and error message stating that they were either moved or renamed. :confused::confused:

It sounded like wsimonton didn't have sheet metal with the "low cost" version of Alibre so I used a solid modeling approach.

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Harold I have tried and have no trouble to unzip from my post In this forum, mystery.

Wsimonton have made the disk i sheet metal, he has mailed me private.
We have many years coversation about the Climax Loko project.
Wsimonton has sheet metal but haven't taken the last update.

wsimonton

Attached is a solution to my initial question in three files. The holes in the Sheet Metal Part still need to be adjusted slightly and once that is done the Sheet Metal Part needs to be exported as a solid body part (stp) to be used as a starter in the Construction Frame. A few error messages will pop up but ignore and proceed to load as those are mods to some of the parts used.

Attachments

• Brace Assembly.AD_PKG
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • Smokebox Brace Left.AD_PKG
    284.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Smokebox Brace Disc Left.AD_SMP
    275.5 KB · Views: 3

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi wsimonton, months ago I was driving to see a customer boat for Inclining test and saw a locomotive close to your Restoration, so I stooped and take some pictures for you discovering that it was not a "climax" but a "shay" one. Any way here is the pdf with all my pictures:
1.-Shay Locomotive.pdf
2.- Drawings: https://www.shaylocomotives.com/ShayDrawings.htm
I do not what was the best lumber locomotive : Climax, Shaw or Heisler one.
Please update your web for see more of your fantastic project:
http://www.msrlha.org/climax/index.html
Note:
It would be a very good idea a plan that some land % to be recycled by the ancient forest. :)

Attachments

• Shay Locomotive.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 13

wsimonton

I spent over five years working with the MSR&LHA on the restoration of CN 1551 at Cass, WV before the new private operator took over. That's where I obtained all the info and measurements. and helped re-engineer and design some replacement parts. Spent hours and hours measuring parts. Lots of info on Shays but not a lot on Climax (only 20 left worldwide) and only three Class C (3 trucks) of which 1551 is one. 116 Shays survive. The Climax website is mostly down - www.climaxlocomotives.com No response to emails re problem.