What's new

Sheetmetal - Angled Flange

1BadRob

Sheetmetal - Angled Flange

I am trying to create a sheetmetal pan with three flanges. I started with the pan bottom and then made the three flanges. Two side flanges are at 90 deg to tab. The back flange is bent up 60 deg. I do not know how to get the two 90 deg side flanges to mate to the back flange. I tried editing the flanges and removing the constraints but cannot change the angle. I do not have enough experience to know where to go from here. My model is left with two missing triangles of material.

pan2448-3-view-2d.0.jpg

2448-feeder-pan.2.jpg

Sorry, I just noticed I am in the wrong Forum Discussion

jemmej

Editing flange angles is fairly simple, once you figure out what to delete and what not too!

Taking your modelled piece as shown.

1. Edit the sketch of the one of the side flanges.
2. Delete the perpendicular constraint and the parallel constraint of the edge that needs to be an angle.
3. Add an angle dimension for what you want the flange angle to be. I find that placing the angle dimension on the two sketch segments fartherest away from the bend generates the most reliable and modifiable results.

Should work. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Jim

dave2962

The closed corner tool will do this for you automatically. Just pick the tool, then select one of the edges and it should close it. You may have to do this before you add the flanges on top of the sides. The closed corner tool can sometimes be kind of picky about which edge you pick, you just have to play with it a little bit. I just did some parts with that exact same problem.

Dave Grady

jemmej

Really? You mean edit the flange shape to be angled? Hmm...interesting. I'll have to check that out. It does make it a feature (using closed corner). I tend not to use it since I don't really know the final dimensions (i.e. I prefer to design in the corners myself).

Jim