What's new

"Sheets and Views-->Detail" Line Clipping Bug

danwilley

The "Sheets and Views--->Detail" function has a line clipping bug. I saw this problem in the last release of Alibre. I was hoping it would be fixed in V21 but it was not. See the problem circled in red. It is always one line that is not clipped. The last time I had this bug it was a horizontal line that went to the right outside the template. Really looks bad on a final drawing. Hopefully, this can be fixed in V22 or V23.

Dan

InkedDetailBug_LI.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Dan, I just recreated your drawing and I do not see the line clipping issue that you show on your drawing. Are you using HOOPS or Legacy mode and does switching between them make a difference?

danwilley

Harold,

I am running Hoops. I took the part and drawing into a sandbox and tried Legacy (once) and it did not have the problem. I went back to HOOPS in the sandbox and tried adding the "detail" twice and could not recreate the problem. I switched back to the (production) drawing and deleted then added the "detail" four times. The first two attempts recreated the problem but the second two attempts did not. The problem occurs not when you first create the "detail" but after you either add dimensions or change the font (properties) of the detail label. Anyway, I kept the last non-fail drawing and will move forward. I have attached the second failure and circled the same error but in a different location, in red. I can package the drawing and part, and upload it if needed.

Thanks,
Dan

InkedDetailBug 2_LI.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If this is an ongoing issue you might want to send a package to Support for their review.

BTW, not to pick at your drafting standards, but dimensioning to hidden features/lines is usually NOT allowed but if that is what your standards allow. I would have used a section view thru one of the holes in the front view for an enlarged view of the hole.

danwilley

Yes... if this problem is ongoing, I will send a package to support. I was hoping to discover the sequence of editing events that causes the problem but it is intermittent.

"I would have used a section view thru one of the holes in the front view for an enlarged view of the hole."

Thanks for the tip for this newbie. I have updated the drawing to use "section" and remove all hidden feature dimension markup. I have a couple of other drawings I need to update too. Ironically, using the "section" function circumvents the "detail" bug. Although off-topic, I have attached a screenshot of the updated drawing to maybe help others new to this.

Dan

Updated Section View.JPG

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Dan, I'm being a bit pedantic, so please don't take it the wrong way, but whilst it's good to show details, you've actually defined the same hole and its countersink information in multiple places. Whilst not a real bad thing, it's not normal practice to duplicate information that is already defined elsewhere on the drawing. I guess that originates back in the day when things were hand drawn and duplicating dimensions could result in conflicting errors, more work to edit/correct (if it needs updating) and it also can lead to unnecessary clutter of the drawing (in more complex designs). Just my observations.