Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Other (please stae in thread)

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

bigseb

Alibre Super User
... I'm talking about possible limitations of incorporating drawings into part / assy file, which would be not being able to open same file twice = not possible to have part & drw simultaneously open.

If drawings are incorporated into the part file then both are open at the same time.

I thought this thread was about having constructive discussion about combining part & drawing into single file. Looking at multiple angles, comparing pros & cons.
It is. Mostly pros. Vote YES! ;)

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I do think though the drawings are still better of incorporated into the .AD_PRT file.

As I stated above, I don't generate drawings in AD. Therefore I gracefully bow out of voting.
I don't have any problems.

I guess I misunderstood you to say that you couldn't have a drawing *and* the associated part open at the same time.
My bad. I didn't mean to step on you about the "problem". "Problem" was meaning a non=existent problem of not being to have
the _DRW and the _PRT open at the same time. Nothing to do with you personally.

swertel

Alibre Super User
@oldfox I don't have any problems. I'm talking about possible limitations of incorporating drawings into part / assy file, which would be not being able to open same file twice = not possible to have part & drw simultaneously open. What are you talking about?

I have been in a schedule crunch situation where one designer/engineer is modeling and another is creating the drawing. If the drawing lived in the part file, this situation would not have been possible within WINDOWS. Realize that both Google (Docs) and Onshape have solved this problem - in the cloud - and users can work on the same file simultaneously. In my 15+ year career, this design process only happened once. But, in those same 15+ years, I've spent a lot of time in UG (now NX) and CATIA where the companies had the drawing and model in the same file.

In my opinion, this would be unique to Alibre and would help differentiate them from the competition.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Seb - nobody could accuse you of being unbiased could they ?
lol.

My ceaseless campaigning has yielded results. Poll results are neck and neck. Oldfox, since you don't use drawings yet this would be the ideal time to join the revolution.

JST

Alibre Super User
If it goes through, I may be abandoning ship.

I believe it has huge potential to thoroughly screw up any attempt to introduce needed "Pro type" features, like libraries, and so forth.

So far I have yet to see any actual reasons to do it, other than making people buy new computers with 2x or 4x more memory. Just nebulous stuff about opening models faster, etc, which may or may not even be true.

When one company that did it was mentioned as needing to now do workarounds to deal with stuff that was prevented by having one humongous file, it does not seem like a good idea.

"Twice as little" reason to do it when the programming effort could be better spent on other things.

A good wrap around "environment" would do all the "keeping things together" stuff that people seem to want, PLUS other things that would be highly desirable, including dealing with library parts. The humongous file idea does only one of those things.

ramirin

In my perfect world drawings could live in a trashcan and MBD would take over the world, but as there are still *some* need for 2D and paper it might take a while for this to happen :cool:

For the drawings, I would vote for having current system + possibility to create associative drawing into same file. I would appreciate having possibility to show in separate window.

But MBD would be something that would take Alibre to next level, I'm not sure if they ever get their money back for coding new home for drawings - even though it would be beneficial for active users.

@oldfox All good :) Sorry if I sounded offensive, didn't mean to.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Oldfox, since you don't use drawings yet this would be the ideal time to join the revolution.

Oh, I use drawings. They just aren't on a computer. Usually on any scrap of paper I can find. And yes, including the ubiquitous napkin. I
even had to borrow a lipstick from one of the waitresses one time when that light bulb in my head came on again. ;)

Seriously, I will probably get there one day.

JST

Alibre Super User
Since you aren't using Alibre Design one could argue you aren't on the ship to begin with... ;):)

Eh, not so fast......... What's different from mine to yours, other than the logo and a few details? And some stuff missing, like mesh to model etc. I just am concerned about some of the glitches that seem to have come up.

I like to wait and not be "that guy" who finds out what is screwed up. I prefer to wait for the patches to come out. I may do the deed soon, if only just to see the stuff that is posted here..... It won't (I hope) have any effect on day-to-day use, as I think one set of patches is in fact out, and presumably included in the current download.

I'll be updating from the GMD version for certain when the new ACIS version is released, after my usual "de-glitching" delay. With any luck it will fix many things.