What's new

Simple question: How to make the Z axis be up/down

Frederick

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to believe they are up to V27 and haven't figured this out yet. I'm not a "rocket scientist" but I don't believe allowing for Z being up/down is rocket science.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Z is not always up. In machine tools Z is always in line with spindle axis, so that's horizontal on nearly all lathes for example.

Also does you monitor represent a sheet of paper on the desk, or looking out of the window? No right or wrong answer, but highlights that direction assignment is largely arbitrary.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just because you want it doesn't mean everyone wants it.
There is a lot of features in Alibre that not everyone wants, most are non design centric, but we have them. Every job I do for 3 of the UK's leading automotive and construction companies, I have to use Z up and they 100% expect every model to be in that orientation, because that's what their processes and procedure dictate. It makes using Alibre very, very difficult when you have to map the orientations on the cube, views and planes in your head. I've had to re-make numerous models because I've started on the wrong plane! If there was a function to re-orient the base feature to a different plane, then that would be a step in the right direction.

Being able to define the axis orientation would be massively useful and more productive to a lot of serious/business CAD users ... far more use than being able to have a dark or light theme! #JustSayin

If you don't feel the pain, please don't assume others don't suffer pain too.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
How to make the Z axis be up/down rather than in/out (I guess that is what it i
Hi Frederick,
Welcome to the forum.
I am attaching a Part file where is the classic orientation focused in Naval Architecture.
View>Orientation>Set
1701457076772.png
I hope help,
GIOV

Attachments

• GIOV-ALIBRE ORIENTATION.AD_PRT
    224 KB · Views: 9

Frederick

I have to say this request makes sense and would be very desirable. Depending on what field you're designing for, the Z axis should have a specific orientation.
Indeed. While I am new to Alibre I am not to new to 3D modeling applications. I find it interesting that Alibre has made it to V27 without having added this feature.

Ex Machina

So, here's what I do. I design as if Z is up. So for example the base of the part I always draw in the XY plane. If you then rotate your part to be upright according to that interpretation of Up and hit save, the floor reflections and all of the lighting will update to reflect that. The only thing that will not be upright according to that definition of Up is going to be the file thumbnail...

Good enough for me.

P.S. Same update behaviour will occur before saving if you orient the part according to what you think is upright, go to the view tab and turn off and back on the reflections, lighting, ambient occlusion, etc.

Frederick

So, here's what I do. I design as if Z is up. So for example the base of the part I always draw in the XY plane. If you then rotate your part to be upright according to that interpretation of Up and hit save, the floor reflections and all of the lighting will update to reflect that. The only thing that will not be upright according to that definition of Up is going to be the file thumbnail...

Good enough for me.

P.S. Same update behaviour will occur before saving if you orient the part according to what you think is upright, go to the view tab and turn off and back on the reflections, lighting, ambient occlusion, etc.
You can most certainly do that. But for a program as expensive as Alibre Design Expert and to be at V27 without allowing for specifying what axis is up is just plain wrong.

Ex Machina

To tell you the truth I prefer the fact that certain commands just work in Alibre and the robustness of the core rather than being able to preset the viewport lighting angle. Especially for a software that costs as little as Alibre Design Expert and outperforms in that respect other software that cost multiple times that...