What's new

Sketch Properties - Why no plane info

barrykingwill

Sketch Properties - Why no plane info

Why is it that the properties of a sketch (as in right click properties), does not throw up the plane to which it is associated?

All 2D Sketches are associated with a plane or a face, so why info on that in the properties.

Makes it very difficult to trace the associated plane on large models (where the plane does not happen to be located next to the sketch in the Design Explorer)

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re: Sketch Properties - Why no plane info

barrykingwill said:
Why is it that the properties of a sketch (as in right click properties), does not throw up the plane to which it is associated?

All 2D Sketches are associated with a plane or a face, so why info on that in the properties.

Makes it very difficult to trace the associated plane on large models (where the plane does not happen to be located next to the sketch in the Design Explorer)

When you select a sketch, the associated plane always lights up in a nice blue color in the explorer.

Since all planes also are grouped in a "plane folder", it's quite easy to locate the one you're after. Is this what you're looking for?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hope this helps, but when if you create your sketch plane (as well as axes or points used to create the plane) just before doing each sketch, they will show up in the explorer just before that sketch in the features folder.

What I mean is that all user created reference geometry is listed twice:

:arrow: First withing the points, planes or axes folder.

:arrow: Second, in the features folder, right in the order where they were created. This is, if you have done 2 sketches with their extrusions so far and now you need a plane for your next scketch, if you create the plane at this point it will be shown in the features folder after the 2 previous scketches/extrusions but before the scketch that will follow.

You can even drag the planes withing the features folder to change the order in which they are shown (and thus regenerated) and further more, you can rename them (as well as the scketches and extrusions) to better be able to trace them :!:

I hope this helps you out :D

:idea: One thing that could be useful here would be to have a box within the creation dialogs of planes/axes/points/extrusions to allow you to place a name tag during creation. It could show up with the default name and let you change it if necessary. I think it is already there for some function.

Cheers!

barrykingwill

Yip, I know if there is one sketch / one plane then they are located beneath each other in the design explorer, but I have cases with multiple sketches one plane, and the sketches are sometimes created much later the the previously used plane.

Thanks for the note about the plane lighting up, why did I know notice that?