What's new

SketchUp Exporter reorientation option

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
SketchUp Exporter reorientation option

I would like to suggest that there be an option added to the SketchUp exporter to re-orient the Alibre model to match SketchUp model orientation.

While the Exporter currently works properly in translating a model into a SketchUp file, the Y Axis UP orientation in Alibre leaves the completed SketchUp translation lying on is Back in the Z Axis UP world of SketchUp.

I personally work with an model orientation where Front, Top, Isometric have a meaning to the design, and would prefer that when I select the TOP orientation in SketchUp that the true intended Top orientation is viewed and not what was the Front of my Alibre Design. I also do not want to have to construct my designs laying on their back in order to obtain a proper Top orientation in SketchUp.

Until all CAD programs can standardize on an axis orientation, the translation program needs to be able to convert the orientation from one CAD program to that of the destination CAD program.

In response to my post here in the Add-on Programs forum, David MacGillivray sent me a ruby script that will Orient and Place my exported Alibre part or assembly, once opened in SketchUp.

It rotates the Alibre model to match the SketchUp orientation to that defined in Alibre, and have the view orientations match those defined in Alibre. It also shifts the location of the Alibre model so that the lower left corner is located at the origin. While this is desirable for my models, the script is well commented and the "place" portion of the script can be commented out if not wanted.

The SketchUp Ruby script is available for download via my post in the woodworking forum: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7004