What's new

SketchUp Texturing issue with Alibre models

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
SketchUp Texturing issue with Alibre models

I am unable to modify the texture Position with a right click on a model imported from a CAD program. While I originally thought that the problem was with my source material, I have found that I can not modify the Texture > Position properties with a right click on a face texture after I create a component from the work I created natively in SketchUp.

I would like to be able to rotate and position the texture on a face (or faces) after the item becomes a Component, as all the imported CAD information is already components. If I create the model in SketchUp, I have the same problem if I make the model more efficient by creating components.

My experimentation has shown me that even if I explode a simple rectangular part after I have made it a component, I can never again use the Texture > Position capabilities on that face.

This seriously limits the usefulness of texturing as I can no longer rotate my wood grain patterns should I need to re-orient the grain, or wish to adjust the grain texture using the tools available with the Texture > Position capabilities. I instead have to use as pair of grain texture images oriented vertically or horizontally if I want to change the grain direction, and have none of the other texture image manipulation capabilities.

Please tell me that as a newer user I am doing something wrong and this is not a SketchUp limitation (or that they will fix this soon). I have searched the SketchUp forum for information on this problem, and spent many hours puzzled why I could not manipulate textures as described in the manual and forum.