What's new

Sloooooowwww program

mrehmus

This morning, starting from a fresh computer start, with all housekeeping activity completed, I started Geomagic Design. Here is the timing:

3 min, 10 seconds, Flash screen is only item on screen then Start screen appears but outline is mainly empty.

3 minute more and Start screen is complete and ready to accept commands. I ask it to open a simple model. Total elapsed time is 6 minutes and 10 seconds.

Modeling screen appears and part is shown but menus and the Explorer are blank.

4 minutes, 15 seconds later the menus and Explorer appear and I can work on the part. Then I save the part which happens in less than a second. I close the part window and\

20 seconds later Geomagic is ready to accept another command.

I have a fast Internet connection, a brand new computer (Win 7 Pro 64 bit) with a 3.5 GHz processor with 8 gigabytes of memory. Both the C drive where Geomagic resides and the data drive where the models are stored are solid state drives. The speed of Geomagic was great until I allowed Microsoft to add 200+ updates to the computer. I had initially prevented the updates but finally relented.

This is unacceptable performance. Is there some magic bullet to add or remove to get the speed back? Or do I need to reinstall Windows and Geomagic and refuse all updates?

JST

Alibre Super User
1) close and re-open windows (shut down, manually, not just a restart.

2) make sure updates or virus scanning, etc, are not going on. They make things ridiculously slow.

3) you might try DOING a virus scan, sometimes the computer may be vulnerable while updating windows. (I like using 3 or 4 different scanners sequentially once in a while).

4) If you happen to use Kaspersky AV, consider switching to ESET. Kaspersky is a resource pig, and wants Putin-like total control. Eset seems totally transparent to other work.

5) The updates tend to fill up your disk. Check what has happened to the virtual memory area. It may have been constricted.

bemfarmer

Keyboard Windows Key + R will load Resmon, resource monitor.
I've been unhappy with all the processes going on, MBAM, Seagate Disk backup, update checkers, etc., and not knowing
which ones are important, and which ones can be closed down.

There ought to be a program to figure this out...

- Brian

bigseb

Alibre Super User
bemfarmer said:
I've been unhappy with all the processes going on, MBAM, Seagate Disk backup, update checkers, etc., and not knowing

- Brian
Safe mode...

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
bemfarmer said:

- Brian

On Win 8.1 pressing <Shift><Ctrl><Esc> at the same time is the only way I know to bring up Resmon.