What's new

SLT Conversion

PaulProe

I have a drawing done in STL format that I am trying to get into Alibre. I understand the process of putting it into Fusion 360 and exporting to STP format, then into Alibre. But I am running into issues.

1) I export from Fusion in STP format but when I try to open the file in Alibre, I am given an error message "Messages: File was not imported due to Errors". Tried checking Healing, etc, but that didn't make any difference.

2) I tried exporting in Inventor format (IPT). That file will open but nothing is displayed in Alibre

3) Tried another online converter but when Alibre tries to open that file, it gets to 21% and just stalls.

The STL opens and displays properly in Fusion 360. I don't know if the issue is the Fusion Export or the Alibre import.

Any ideas of how to get this into Alibre? Is there another way to convert an STL file to STEP or another format that is Alibre friendly

I've attached a zip file of the drawing since the site won't allow me to upload the STL file

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Weber IDA 48mm true.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Adi

Hi,
Some time ago I tried to do conversion from stl to step- I used 2 ways of doing that:

1) free online converter, eg. https://3d-convert.com/
2) FreeCad- but it was a nightmare :eek:, and a operation time was ridiculus

in both ways files are very big, and not so useful I have expected..

PaulProe

Harold - I am using V26.0.0,26040

Adi - Thanks for your comments. That is the same site I tried the online conversion. It does convert to a STP file however when you try to open it, Alibre freezes at 21% and never completes opening the file.

H.C

1: clean up that stl, like remove the letters at the bottom. The stl has 5 parts & is not closed.
if you are a paid f360 user...look for the reverse engineering tut's (think it's well suited for that part)
.stl to .step....no free lunch :)

dwc

Alibre Super User
Stl to Step is a nightmare. I am not aware of any program that does it reliably, even those costing XXk$.
In the end I have always redesigned the part from scratch.
Considering the time wasted trying to get an import to work it would probably have been faster to do that from the beginning.

Adi

Harold - I am using V26.0.0,26040

Adi - Thanks for your comments. That is the same site I tried the online conversion. It does convert to a STP file however when you try to open it, Alibre freezes at 21% and never completes opening the file.
Yep, mine computer also freezes exactly at 21%- even in cases, when I managed to open stp converted from stl Alibre was freezed for quite long time (files are much smaller than Yours..)- You could walk the dog in one case, and program was stil opening file- but also a FreeCad, and some others CAD vievers (which have a possibility to open their native failes, and stp files) couldn't handle with steps converted from stl

Unfortunetly stl files have very limited applications- you can use this for 3d print, fpr FEA analysys or to make a model for client, if you don't want to share too many details of your design.

PaulProe

1: clean up that stl, like remove the letters at the bottom. The stl has 5 parts & is not closed.
if you are a paid f360 user...look for the reverse engineering tut's (think it's well suited for that part)
.stl to .step....no free lunch :)
H.C.
I am a newbie to stuff like this. Would you expand on what you mean by 'clean up that stl, like remove the letters at the bottom' Is that done by editing the raw file with WordPad or editing the STL file in Fusion or what?

Thanks, in advance

Paul

H.C

got it in alibre... but why you want that ?
amazing, blender/rhino FAIL f360...asap (I should go back to f360 :D )
oh yes, it hangs at 21% for 30min. when import in alibre
1: repair in f360 mesh > convert mesh> export to step
alibre_fusion_step_48mm.jpg