What's new

Software and Hardware upgrade any insight or advice?

VoltsAndBolts

I started looking into up grading my Alibre to Geomagic Design and I think the quote I was given is manageable, I have been running Alibre 2011 on a dell D630 core 2 duo with 4 gig ram and XP. I don’t think that will cut it for the upgrade so I also ordered a new laptop a Lenovo thinkpad w550s with 8gb ram and 2T SSD for an awesome price, 11 days later I get an email saying my order was canceled and I should re order. So within a few minutes of getting the email I try and fond the deal is no longer available. They just won’t sale it for the quoted price of $399.99

I suspected they miss priced it but it was worth a try…

So I finally found a Dell Precision M7510 for a good price $844.00 the specs are.
I5 6300HQ 3.2GHZ, FIREPRO W5170M 2GB, 32GB RAM 2133MHZ, FHD 1080P, 500GB HDD and room for a M.2 SSD. I think it’s a good middle of the road machine and it should handle Geomagic without any trouble. It has Win 8.1 though…

Anyone running Geomagic Design on Win 8.1? or should I look into going Win 7 or Win 10?

Thanks,
V&B

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I have run GD on both Win8.1 and Win10 - only issue with Win10 is the Excel add-in not working.

I don't recall any Win8.1 specific problems when using GD.

JST

Alibre Super User
Win 7 is pretty much the same with less crap. Consider it if an option for you.

You'll like the current GMD vs ancient Alibre.