What's new

Solid Model Import Problems

rmcard

I'm hoping for a little help and direction here. I have a couple issues with step files I'm trying to import into Alibre (nice that I can correctly call it by that name again) that giving me a bit of a headache.

I've attached the STP file I'm having a major problem with, it by no means wants to import into alibre. I've tried several times and it's puked on me every time. It keeps coming up with an error stating "Imported file does not contain supported solid body data"

My only way of accessing it is thru AutoCAD Fusion 360. And still when imported it definitely has issues. (See PNG)

I am trying to have the company who provided the file give me a uncorrupted version but I'm not totally convinced it's a corruption issue. I have 4 other tube assembly step files that although Alibre could open 3 the several parts where not in correct position. the 4th tube assembly Alibre also was not able to open but all four were correctly opened by Fusion 360. I was able to use Fusion 360 to export the 4th one to an iges (just to try something different) which alibre was then able to open. But still, when again opening in Alibre the assembly is a mishmash with parts not oreiented correctly. Please note I DON"T need the assemblies because my project only requires using the individual tubes. But I would still hope that Alibre might correct the problem.

Also of note is that I'm not familiar with Fusion 360 at all and only installed it to use as another import option to correct this problem.

Attachments

• 22061486 2.stp
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 22061486.png
    22061486.png
    229 KB · Views: 11

rmcard

Yes, in the back of my foggy mind I remember asking something similar previously, looking at my old post now I hadn't realized how exactly the same my problem is now to my previous one. But, I am in my same position, these files are useless to me unless converted to a usable solid. I'll see if I can get the customer to save it correctly into something I can use. If not, I'll have to ask for another favor.... :p

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Ok, it is also a Creo Face/Surface ...

Here is a STEP file.

Attachments

• 22061486-2-new.stp
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

rmcard

Ralf,

Thanks so much and you saved my butt AGAIN!

Now my questions are, a) no doubt the customer is creating these models in CREO (I don't have direct contact with the customer due to the fact I'm working through the machine shop who is making the fixturing) is it that they just have to save the model as a solid to allow me to open it properly? and b) Is the customer also poorly creating said model where errors in stitching the surfaces are creating the toroid's that are throwing me for a loop?

As I mentioned earlier I have 4 other tube models that I've been able to open in Alibre and I'm going to use them as is unless I run into more problems.

Randy