What's new

Solidworks / Alibre Observations

leeave96

Solidworks / Alibre Observations

I recently started a new day job where the CAD used is AutoCAD for 2D stuff and Solidworks for the 3D chores.

Inspite of my bashing Alibre when they do fool things like eliminate layers and give me the impression that V9 was going to be a major upgrade - which IMHO it was not. Still I like the program, be it V8.2 for me until I see something in V10 that's more interesting than V9.

Having said that, it's been a few years since I had a contract job working with SW. I think the version at the time was SW2001. The version at work is SW2006.

What I am going to attempt to do over the next few days/weeks as time permits or as it "jumps" out at me, is give some things that I like about Alibre vs SW.

Sooooo, here's a start.

1. 2006 is much more complicated due to extensive addition of features (read lots of icons to click). Alibre's interface is much more simple to use. I recall that 2001 was that way.

2. It seems to me that in my past use of SW that when you click on a face to create a sketch, when you activate a sketch, the sketch plane would rotate normal the screen. I can't figure out how to do this without hitting another icon in 2006. It is automatic in Alibre - very good.

3. I like Alibre's ability to insert center marks in mass on a drawing view. I suppose 2006 can do that, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

4. 2006 shows the line weight on drawings. I can't find a way to turn it off. I heard that V9 did the same thing, but a patch fixed that. V8.2 doesn't show line weights and that's really nice in that it makes the screen not so crowded.

More to come!
Bill

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

V9 Configurations are the greatest thing to happen to Alibre! While I would like some group definition capability that I lost with layers, I have yet to go back to my other machine with v8 on it. It takes a while to appreciate what configurations can do, but now we can create families of parts, left/right hand parts, and a whole host of other uses being posted in the forum. You can even nest configurations by using intermediate assemblies to define a new layer of configuration.

A more subtle enhancement is the new ability to populate the BOM with parameter values, and now I can add the dimensions of my projects to a parts list without having to write down the values by hand. Take a look at the custom BOM parameter field. I now take the time to fill in the part data for a complete parts list, and export it to a sheet nesting program too. I can't live without this feature now.

It may take a little time to appreciate, but configurations are revolutionary to the way in which we can use Alibre.

leeave96

Firstly, my remarks are not intende to disparage either SW or Alibre - they are just my observations. Also, just because I say something can or cannot be done in either CAD package is not the gospel. I may just need to change a setting to get what I am observing.

Today:

1. When you drag your mouse across SW, the faces don't highlight as they do in Alibre. I like this highlighting feature.

2. I decided to reset and redo the SW tool bars to look as much like Alibre as possible - so as to minimize the confusion as to where the respective icons are between both programs.

3. SW icons are very large - even when you set them to the small settings. Alibre's icons are very small, yet easily to read. Alibre's small icons save monitor space!

4. Equations! Much easier in Alibre. For example, if I have dimension D2 that is to be half of D1, I can type on the fly as I make the dimension for D2 as D1/2. This is VERY simple. I had to use the equation editor in SW to do this. Futher, the dimension names are very long. D2@sketch1.... Alibre's dimension name style reminds me of how UG did this many moons ago.

Bill

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I don't use Solidworks, but here is a quote from the press on their 2006 (I like this one):

With SolidWorks 2006, users can continue to work in drawings without waiting for drawing views or system graphics to be recalculated, saving valuable design time.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:
I don't use Solidworks, but here is a quote from the press on their 2006 (I like this one):

With SolidWorks 2006, users can continue to work in drawings without waiting for drawing views or system graphics to be recalculated, saving valuable design time.

Did they have to wait before 2006? Was it like a 10 minute thing or is this just another stupid add? Computers make you wait even if its less than a micosecond so does it know the future and draw it before you can think of it? Sounds like the same guy who did the learning curve wall. :lol:

rbrian

Solidworks Observations (SW 2004)

Hi! Nice Thread! I am currently in training on SW 2004 - for the sake of having some understanding of what other program users are talking about when they approach me using their programs situations vs me in Alibre Design.

Last night I tried a moderately simple reverse engineer of a Goblet style Mug in SW2004. With the continued issue with the sketch for the profile of a revolve - that revolve only part took me about 2 hours!! I kept getting sketch error messages that said - ' ~ this, that, or something else - was wrong'<forgot the words it said>. And - I have no idea how to find the core issue (With Alibre - I can go back and do an 'Analyse Sketch' and get the issue(s) highlighted for me!!)

Then the Handle - Wow - that was an issue I figured should have been 10 - 20 minutes - took another 60 - 90 minutes with a couple of changes and finaly a whole new attack to simplfy the sweeps for the handle! I am sure when I try to model the same mug in AD - I will be able to belt it out in record time (Familiarity is quite an advantage - I am sure, but still....!!)

Robert

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

jwknecht said:

Not Solidworks, this time. This is an amusing extract from the latest Novedge Newsletter:

" When you connect your copy of Rhino 3.0 with the latest version of MecSoft's VisualMill you may start to see great and unexpected results." :shock:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

MilesH said:
" When you connect your copy of Rhino 3.0 with the latest version of MecSoft's VisualMill you may start to see great and unexpected results." :shock:

Coming from a machine shop background I would have to say....that would scare me to use. :shock: Since I program CNCs I can honestly say "unexpected" is not a term I like.

leeave96

Today's Stuff:

1. Trimmed/extended line segments do not highlight in SW as they do in Alibre.

2. In SW you use both cont's and shift when picking stuff. Only shift in Alibre.

3. In SW, if you pick sketch entities, a constraint menu automatically is enabled and
the available constraints for those pics are shown. Very nice.

4. In Assy's, it is much easier to drag and rotate unconstrained piece parts than Albire.
No button is required or specified axis or direction. Simply right click and hold and drag
or rotate the part.

5. When constructing circles in a sketch, Alibre gives the on the fly option of making them
equal size. Not so with SW.

6. This is a VERY big one. SW automatically updates an open drawing when the model or assy
is revised. I would prefer a button to do this, but currently Alibre has neither.

7. I may have mentioned this earlier, but the toolbars in SW are to long. For example if
you dock the sketching toolbar to the side of the monitor, a goodly part of the icons are buried off
screen. This requires another mouse click to get to them. I like Alibre's short list of icons
and how they are smaller than SW.

Bill

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User

Thanks for doing this Bill

leeave96>>
4. In Assy's, it is much easier to drag and rotate unconstrained piece parts than Albire.
No button is required or specified axis or direction. Simply right click and hold and drag
or rotate the part.

I have not looked at SW at all, but I must say that rotating parts in an AD Assembly has been a source of much frustration for me. Possibly due to my inexperience, but it just seems onerous. My problems usually occur on partially constrained parts, that in my mind, should be able to rotate or move on the remaining UNconstrianed variable.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

leeave96 said:
Today's Stuff:... 4. In Assy's, it is much easier to drag and rotate unconstrained piece parts than Albire.
No button is required or specified axis or direction. Simply right click and hold and drag or rotate the part....

In Alibre, you can ctrl+click on a part. This will select the whole part and you will be able to drag it without having to use the move tool.

Ctrl+rightclick on a part will also select the whole part and open the contextual menu so you can then anchor, erase, suppress, etc.

The part will also get highlighted in the explorer with both ctrl+click or ctrl+rightclick.

If it doesn't seem to work on a particular part, do an assembly regeneration and that will cure the problem.

Jimpulse said:
...My problems usually occur on partially constrained parts, that in my mind, should be able to rotate or move on the remaining UNconstrianed variable.

Try regenerating the assembly when this happens. Use the regen icon on the right hand tool bar.

Please keep posting Bill. This is very useful info 8)

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

IF you have apart which is not fully constrained with mates, is there a way to get hold of it and drag it so that it will move in al the ways it can?
I have a spherical mate, a bal joint.
I can rotate it about chosen axes, but I can't seem to dag it and have it rotate about its spherical constraint...
It seems your cntrl click select and drag only works if the part is unconstrained, or won't work if spherical surfaces are used for the mate.

leeave96

More stuff:

FWIW, some of the things I am observing in both programs may simply be a matter of getting the correct settings.

1. SW has a little button called invert selection. Pick an object, hit this button and all other object are selected and the one you picked is unselected. This is an old feature that was available in UG years ago.

2. For some reason in SW, when you pick an edge, the line becomes very thick. Not a problem, but when you have a gizzilion lines, it can become hard to see what you actually picked. AD has nice crisp edge pick highlights.

3. SW has a neat trick that you can fill out part and assy info and import that into the drawing to populate the drawing fields. Not sure AD has this.

4. We are considering implementing SW's PDM works to keep track of SW files between users. Nice thing about Alibre is if you have the repository function, in a small office, you can avoid that stuff while you grow.

5. Harder to pick an edge in SW within an assy that is buried behind a face. AD is much better at this. SW's filters are many - sometimes confusing, but there if you need them.

6. SW's interface is much more busy with the addition of lots of icons vs the older version I use to use several years ago. The icon structure reminds me of someone who just keep adding onto the house without regard for how it looks when it's finished. AD is cleaner.

7. When you measure something in SW, it shows on the model via lines and small dialogs the x, y, z and normal distances. There is no need to zoom out and find these planes/axis like you do in AD.

More later,
Bill

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

moyesboy said:
IF you have apart which is not fully constrained with mates, is there a way to get hold of it and drag it so that it will move in al the ways it can?
I have a spherical mate, a bal joint.
I can rotate it about chosen axes, but I can't seem to dag it and have it rotate about its spherical constraint...
It seems your cntrl click select and drag only works if the part is unconstrained, or won't work if spherical surfaces are used for the mate.

Moyesboy,

The ctrl+click functions for linear motions. For your spherical mate, you should use the rotate tool, but you don't need to select the real rotation axis. just click on any face of your part and a triad of axes will show. Select the one closest to be paralell to the real rotation axis and drag the part.

fitzbond

Re:

leeave96 said:
7. When you measure something in SW, it shows on the model via lines and small dialogs the x, y, z and normal distances. There is no need to zoom out and find these planes/axis like you do in AD.

I really like that function I think I will take a shapshot and send it into support.

leeave96

More stuff:

1. Sketching a rectangle that's not positioned horizontal or vertical requires more button pushes to create in SW than AD. In AD, there is a quick flyout for rectangle that allows this. I think in SW you can add to a toolbar these type of flyout's though - not something I really want to do in the middle of a sketch while I'm focused on design work.

2. Some of the nomenclature in SW can be a bit confusing. For example when you go to click in such a way that allows you to edit a mate - rather than just say, "edit mate", it says "edit feature". In shell, rather than ask for the thickness, it asks for a distance. I think AD is clearier with respect to this.

3. It takes a bit of time to get to the mates within an assy in SW. Rather than have the individual mates for a part presented as they are in AD, you have to click on the part, then open a mate folder to see the mates.

4. Another thing with SW mates. When you click on the mates, they don't always easily show the surfaces, etc that are mated. AD really does well at this.

5. SW shows when a part in an assy is fully mated and notifies you when you do something to foul-up a mate. AD does neither of these.

6. Hole tool: SW appears to only allow one hole at a time. AD can do multiple holes (of the same size). When locating the hole, SW requires another menu to do this - another series of button clicks.

7. When hiding parts: SW lets you right click to hide the part. You must then right click on "show" to see the part again. AD has "hide". If it's hidden, there is a check mark. This to me is easier than looking for another word within a dialog.

8. Mouse, control & shift buttons. Select with cont'l in SW, Shift in AD. Rotate a view in SW by holding down on the mouse scroll wheel. Rotate views in AD by holding down on both right and left hand mouse buttons at the same time. I don't know how it is with other programs, but this is an area that AD might consider doing like SW - just to minimize confusion between the two. The closer (in some respects) to SW that AD can move, the easier it seems to me that AD can come into a SW house and say - need more seats of CAD beyond SW, AD is a potential route. Similar mouse selection and keyboard use would ease that cross use confusion.

9. Greg Milliken. Anyone ever heard of a user getting an e-mial to a question direct from John McEleney?

More later.

Bill

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

leeave96 said:
8. Mouse, control & shift buttons. Select with cont'l in SW, Shift in AD. Rotate a view in SW by holding down on the mouse scroll wheel. Rotate views in AD by holding down on both right and left hand mouse buttons at the same time. I don't know how it is with other programs, but this is an area that AD might consider doing like SW - just to minimize confusion between the two. The closer (in some respects) to SW that AD can move, the easier it seems to me that AD can come into a SW house and say - need more seats of CAD beyond SW, AD is a potential route. Similar mouse selection and keyboard use would ease that cross use confusion.

I have used several progams requiring the use of both mouse button to spin a solid and this to me is better. I have used computers with no mouse wheel say for instance a trackball. For me when switching from one system to another the use of both buttons is faster, more reliable, and easier to use. But that is why we have opinions. :D

I would vote leave it the way it is but I probably would never have argued if it were the other way to start with. :wink:

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

indesign said:
leeave96 said:

I have used several progams requiring the use of both mouse button to spin a solid and this to me is better. I have used computers with no mouse wheel say for instance a trackball. For me when switching from one system to another the use of both buttons is faster, more reliable, and easier to use. But that is why we have opinions. :D

I would vote leave it the way it is but I probably would never have argued if it were the other way to start with. :wink:

If this is something that someone is very used to, one could program their mouse buttons customer for AD to mimic SW (or vice-versa).

indesign

Alibre Super User

How about...

Alibre sends emails occasionally with a really good sale.

SW calls every %&*@!#$ week wanting to setup a demo, come by the shop, offer a pathetic discount, blah blah blah blah.......

Getting really tired of them harassing us. Is this how they get someone to pay 5K for their software....pay them to leave you alone.

Wish I had the full pro package to show off everything when the sales rep comes by this week.