What's new

SolidWorks Import

I am having problems importing SW or STEP files. Some of the components import as clear. In SW or eDrawings they look fine. What am I doing wrong?

batejosh

You'll want to upload the files that you are trying to view. Then we can view them in edrawings and Alibre to see what the problem is, and advise. It would be good if you could also upload some photos of the differences/problems.

In the Example.PNG the right side of the robot arm appears translucent or just wire frame. The ZIP file contains the SW files for the robot. Also, the model looks the same using the STEP file. Viewing in eDrawings and SW is fine. Thanks...

Attachments

• S501_MOVE.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Example.PNG
    Example.PNG
    117.8 KB · Views: 27

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
3 parts in the assembly report import faults. Not clear if that is an inherent issue with the files or a deficiency in the import module.

Attached is S501_FIX.ZIP that is a SW file saved in the latest version. eDwg Arm is a view of the arm that looks good. AD Arm.PNG is a view of the Alibre Design which shows a translucent or wire frame view of the arm.

The error in opening the old SW file was caused by an older version of SW. Any help is welcomed. Thanks...

Attachments

• AD Arm.PNG
    AD Arm.PNG
    61.8 KB · Views: 11
  • eDwg Arm.PNG
    eDwg Arm.PNG
    158.2 KB · Views: 11
  • S501_FIX.zip
    306 KB · Views: 4

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Imported S501_FIX.sldprt into Alibre and got the missing surfaces. Exported as step and imported that into Moi. Moi showed no errors. Exported as 3dm and imported into Alibre. No problems. Not sure why Alibre gives an initial error. Importing isn't its strong suit.

Fixed adprt attached.

Attachments

• TheFix.AD_PRT
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
Thanks bigseb... I'll try that. I've had trouble in the past importing certain SW files. The problem is that they were created with a very early version of SW.