What's new

SolidWorks mates VS Alibre constraints

SolidWorks mates VS Alibre constraints

I hate to say it but its just a comment,

My opinion is that the SolidWorks mating system is much better then
Alibre's constraining method. I get by far less errors when mating in solidworks.

:evil: I wish the Alibre way was just as good :cry:

what do u think about this?

fitzbond

If Alibre would allow multiple constrains or mates during one operation and get better feed back on the final result that would be a nice improvement.

leeave96

After working with both programs, Alibre constraints IMHO are not to bad. In my view, with respect to assemblies, there needs to be a marker of some type that shows when an assembly is fully constrained.

Futher, there needs to be a way to create and disolve assemblies within an assembly.

Bill

scarr

Re: Constraints

I don't work with SW, but I do on occassion work with Catia V5, and their constraint system is about the same as Alibres, just named differently. In place of Align, they have Coincidence, for Mate, it's Contact, etc., etc. for a total of five different types? There are only so many ways to constrain parts (no matter what the naming scheme is), and as far as being able to apply multiple constraints simutaneously in V5, I haven't tried it, but I'll check it out and see. From my experience with V5, you still need to tweak parts (rotate, move, etc.) in order to get the exact constraint results you're after. Alibre is the best value in 3D parametric solid modeling CAD applications in existance (.) period. Every application has its own set of idiosyncracies, but for all the time I've spent on other systems, Alibre has been by far the easiest to learn, and use, and its can do anything the high end apps can do - yesterday I watched a designer spend 4 hours creating and constaining a simple angle bracket in V5 that should have taken about ten minutes to do, and all because the system is so difficult to learn. It seems to me that if an app costs five or ten times as much as Alibre, it should be five or ten tims as fast, easy to learn, etc. -ha! The opposite is the reality - that's why it takes over two weeks of training to get people up and running in V5, and then they're not really productive for another two-six months. My money is on Alibre.

easy to learn

Yes Alibre is very easy to leard just took me just 2 days to almost fully understand the program
my previous expirience with SW helped big time

but some features just cant be constraint the way i want in Alibre wich can in SW

Imnot putting my money on any of the programs i just use them

fitzbond

New Apply button on the Insert Assembly Constraint dialog speeds up insertion of multiple assembly constraints :D

swertel

Alibre Super User

I've been asking for that for a while.

This truly is one of the most customer-driven upgrades that I've seen in CAD packages lately. A lot of the little user-interface conveniences have been added, such as a differet Design Explorer icon for cuts and protrusions.