What's new

Some fonts in Alibre not working

Hunter

Hi,

So I installed this nice looking font that I want to use as part of our company logo (creating our drawing border/frame/template). It is a TTF font and works fine in other software (like Word and Inkscape). I can see it in Alibre and it seems possible to use it, but when I place the font in a drawing, Alibre simply places the default Arial typeface?

Am I doing something wrong, or are some fonts finicky to use in Alibre? I seem to remember seeing a post about this, but cannot find it.

I had to convert the font to paths and imported it as a DXF, which is probably better in any case, but having the font 'embedded' in the drawing would be better for PDF export. It will also be a whole lot quicker.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Which font? When installing font, did you install just for yourself, or 'for all users' ?

Hunter

It is a font I found called Tachyon, I think I downloaded it from ifonts.xyz

I can't remember if I installed it "Just for me" or for "all". Clearly it implies that Alibre deals with fonts differently depending on for whom I installed it. Which installation method should I use? If I read between the lines, "All" is the correct choice?

Why does it make a difference or is it simply Alibre internals?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - make sure to install 'for all'. We are aware of issues with PDF generation if fonts are installed just for the current user - I'm wondering if that might be an issue in drawings too.... I'll see if I can find Tachyon to experiment with.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm - well the download from there was a crude browser hijack attempt. I'll leave you to experiment with the font.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Seb - did it work in 2D drawing workspace for you ? (the OP's original requirement).

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Seb - did it work in 2D drawing workspace for you ? (the OP's original requirement).
Thought he meant 2D sketch (for feature creation) because you can't create a text in a sketch in the drawing workspace. Only fields and labels.

Hunter, you gotta sketch it in 2D Sketch in the part workspace, select and copy, paste into drawing workspace.

EDIT: playing around with this and I see that I can't copy/paste the text into a drawing so you'll have to create your logo in 3D and insert that into your drawing as a new view.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Did it work in Label ?

I'm not going to buy the font licece from a legitimate site just to try, and after that first experience I'm not re-visiting ifonts.xyz

bigseb

Alibre Super User
No. You can select the font and it shows as the font in the preview window but on the drawing it goes back to default.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried a wide selection of fonts in Label - all behaved as expected. So presumably this is an issue with one particular font, unless others can find other problem fonts...

Would be interesting to know if the same issue applies to this font licensed from a 'genuine' source.

Hunter

Well, there goes that idea! Didn't realise it's not for free as in free use (unless used on the web or with Adobe CC), so much for Googling for a font and downloading the first one that's available. I did test it and installing for "all users" is partially successful, but only for Regular styles, not for the other font styles.

upload_2020-2-10_21-43-59.png

upload_2020-2-10_21-44-25.png

Anyway, not a problem, I'll draw the 6 letters I need from scratch.

Last edited:

Hunter

So I got a demo version of the font through more official channels (it is owned and sold by Fontspring, previously Fonthead), same issue shown below. I have to admit, ifonts.xyz seems and still looks pretty legit to me. But that's beside the point, the problem persists, see below.
upload_2020-2-11_6-18-40.png

If you register on Fontspring's website you can download the demo...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Well, there goes that idea! Didn't realise it's not for free as in free use (unless used on the web or with Adobe CC), so much for Googling for a font and downloading the first one that's available. I did test it and installing for "all users" is partially successful, but only for Regular styles, not for the other font styles.

View attachment 29572

View attachment 29573

Anyway, not a problem, I'll draw the 6 letters I need from scratch.
OR...

Create it in 3D and simply add that to the drawing (single front view only). From there you can move it around, scale it etc.