What's new

Something very fishy, this is driving me crazy...

dwc

Alibre Super User
In the meantime I check to be sure my splines start and end correctly on the middle line as there is apparently no way to edit them.
Now I can copy and mirror correctly, but is I move the sketch to the correct position I get an overlap error.
I have tried sketch->move, moving free hand and moving with a constraint. All result in the same error.
What am I doing wrong?
I have now spent 2 days trying to get this (I would think) simple thing to work.

Drawing with traced lines
Spline01.JPG

Copied into a part sketch, spline mirrored. All is OK.
Spline02.JPG

Then use a concentric constraint to position the sketch around the origin. Note that all the other methods of moving the sketch that I have tried result in the same behaviour.
It it then indicated that the sketch has an overlap. I can find no reason for this error message. What am I doing wrong? How can I get this so work?

Spline03.JPG

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does anything show up highlighted if you select the Overlap in the dialogue?

Can you provide the file?

dwc

Alibre Super User
Here is the file of the drawing copied into a sketch before mirroring.

Attachments

• TestMove.AD_PRT
    226 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm - odd how using the Move command seems to cause overlap where ends of splines meet.

I get same behaviour if I move the single spline, then mirror, but if I mirror at original location there is no overlap. So seems to be something about the move operation....

Dragging the mirrored profile horizontally doesn't cause a problem, but dragging it a little vertically does give rise to the overlap.

The profile does work if extruded, so the Overlap seems like a false report from the analyse tool. Can you use the finished profile in your design, or does the attempt to use it fail?

dwc

Alibre Super User
The profile does work if extruded, so the Overlap seems like a false report from the analyse tool. Can you use the finished profile in your design, or does the attempt to use it fail?
I saw that and thought of that too. I don't know how finicky the extrusion tool is, will try.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Also I recommend to do the transverse section instead to the horizontal one as show in the screen-pic below and apply feature Loft Boss ending with Feature Loft Cut for the exterior edge.
1635699923254.png

dwc

Alibre Super User
Also draw a Spline by reference points and not Spline by interpolation points that allow a easy edit. If you like more the Spline by interpolation point use it with nodes.
Thanks GIOV ! That was the point I was missing. Spline by reference points. YES!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
That was the point I was missing. Spline by reference points. YES!
Would be really nice if there was an option to auto create constrained reference points when drawing a spline, which could then be dimensioned or constrained, rather than having to do it manually afterwards!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Would be really nice if there was an option to auto create constrained reference points when drawing a spline, which could then be dimensioned or constrained, rather than having to do it manually afterwards!
Not sure I understand. :confused: Are you saying that you need to add Reference Points to the Spline by Reference Points?
It is possible to add dimensions to the points created by the Spline by Reference Points now without adding reference points.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Not sure I understand. :confused: Are you saying that you need to add Reference Points to the Spline by Reference Points?
It is possible to add dimensions to the points created by the Spline by Reference Points now without adding reference points.
Sorry, my bad!

Last edited: