What's new

Space Navigator PE Won't Pan

khreha

My newly purchased, 3d Connexion Space Navigator PE, does everything except Pan when used with Alibre.

I know the device is functioning properly, because it does Pan properly in Sketchup. But for some reason, inside of Alibre it wants to zoom or rotate no matter how hard I try just to get it to move left / right or up/down.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong inside of the setup menu. But I can't figure out what that something is ????

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with one of these devices ?

Thanks

MilesH

Alibre Super User
HI khreha,

This is a known issue..... as they say....

It does actually Pan but the sensitivity doesn't track the Zoom level. You can verify this: create a tiny cube and zoom in on it - now you'll notice the panning.

We're hoping for a fix, soon..........

All you can do for now is set translation sensitivity to maximum in the Space Navigator control panel - but then it will be too sensitive for Sketchup, probably.

khreha

Thanks Miles.

As a matter of fact, yes, I did notice precisely what you described. Again, I just assumed it was something I was doing wrong in my setup.

Oh well, as you stated, I guess all we can do is wait and hope that Alibre and 3D Connexions gets this resolved quickly.

Thank You once again for taking the time to respond.

aeromorrison

I have a Spaceball 5000 USB (probably 3 years old), and it works quite well with Alibre. I do notice the sensitivity changes with zoom on panning only, but for almost everything I do, it works just as well as in any other CAD/CAE program. The only time I notice anything annoying is on large format drawings (E size or larger), when panning gets very insensitive.

Beaut0721

I also notice that the pan sensitivity is way off relative to the other axes.

Currently, I have 3DxWare release 3.6.7, Alibre V10.

In 3DxWare, I turn the sensitivity on pan right/left and pan up/down up all the way, and the tilt, roll, spin, zoom sensitivity all the way down on the "Advanced Settings" tab. Then on the "Device Configuration" tab, I set the overall speed to one of the higher settings. Options -> Save As... "Alibre". This configuration is a decent workaround for Alibre.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Miles,
...in relation to last post...
Can you understand me better now ? :wink:

Hi Beaut0721,

The transformation of the axes is not working well with the Pan feature for all 3D connexion devices.
Tested with:
- Magellan Space Mouse Plus
- Space Navigator PE
- Space Navigator SE
- Space Explorer
- Space Pilot

There is a lack of adaptation options for working with Alibre.
The 3Dconnexion SDK solves the problem.

Wing-Nut

I have been using my new 3D Connection since Christmas Eve and it's GREAT!!!!!!! It has improved modeling speed at least 25% so far and it is bound to make it faster over time. Assembly time is even faster too.

GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
:D

mikeschn

Wing-Nut said:
I have been using my new 3D Connection since Christmas Eve and it's GREAT!!!!!!! It has improved modeling speed at least 25% so far and it is bound to make it faster over time. Assembly time is even faster too.

GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
GET ONE!!!!!!!
:D

I've been using a spaceball for about 22 years now, so yes I agree with you. GET ONE!!!!!!!

I'm am also unhappy with the lack of sensitivity of the panning in AD. All of us that have spaceballs need to vote for this:
http://feedback.alibre.com/pages/16127- ... ?ref=title

And even those of you that are thinking about getting a spaceball need to vote.

Mike...

mikeschn

Well, we picked up one more vote. What about the rest of you guys? You gotta vote to make a difference!

Mike...

KSealy

The original posting is extremely old. The panning speed is still quite a nuisance for the space navigator and needs to be fixed. Any updates on this?

Thanks!