What's new

SpaceClaim

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
It's impressive.
The feature creation method was very new to me.
It's worth to give a try for free 30 days, I promise.
But it is still under construction, so we possibly go for other CADs if one want to buy real life tool.
It was heavier than OSM on my same PC, and did not work fine with on board graphic chip alone.
I could hardly see the model in this case. So I could not enjoy pretty much.
But I guess it will give a good impact on CAD vendors. Like Pro/E bought CoCreate.

P.S.
I am now using OSM for a small machine, and I found our licenses are missing a lot of essential modules, 'BOM','PartLibrary','Repository','SheetMetal','Face'. I could not even edit BOM. And I need to pay over 2K just for BOM editing.(Model manager+Bom Editor are must for BOM editing). I have to export to AD and draw 2D just because of this, perhaps. Big headache. :cry:

fitzbond

I spoke to a sales person and found out that inorder to be able to exchange data from the major cad products and even step file you need the data exchange module so instead of $695 price you looking at $3000 :shock:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
fitzbond said:
I spoke to a sales person and found out that inorder to be able to exchange data from the major cad products and even step file you need the data exchange module so instead of $695 price you looking at $3000 :shock:

They may have said that but I would have thought that the LTX version is all you need...

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
fitzbond said:
It's doubled with JPYen! on my pages.(128,000JPY)

Besides,when I did my first trial, the offer was 50% discount of $4K roughly.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Please, looks in the software agreement/contract.
There is only the right to the use the Software for a limited time.
After this limited time, must be extended the maintenace with specially costs, or the Software is only a "data viewer".

swertel

Alibre Super User
That was the original business plan. They have since made alterations to it to allow you to "buy" a license rather than just "lease" one.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User
My MasterCAM vendor is now an agent and has been promoting Space Claim. While I have not taken a close look at the new 2008 version, the 2007 version does not have any parametric formula capability which is very important to me. I regularly use equations to define my parts, and allow customers to rapidly modify a design by changing only a few parameter values. I think it also lacked Bill of Material capability, which is very important in getting my designs into production.

Where it excels for my vendor is its capability to rapidly manipulate models created by any design software. He uses to allow file translation, modifications and flattening prior to bringing the data into MasterCAM for machining. However, the price seems excessive to me for such a limited use.

Nice interface for direct manipulation of modeling, and so much more than the reviewers comment of being SketchUp on sterioids. Maybe with a bit more development to include more features like CoCreate OneSpace or KeyCreator and it might be very useful. However, I don't think they will survive their poor assessment of the market and their sales approach. It they adopted a price point comparable with Alibre, they might have a chance, given a broader market.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Apart from SpaceClaim, the office OSM happened to have 'Advanced Design module'.
Which has parametric function with physical relation and plastic mold design and also simplification on model.
It's not intuitive, but it works. ( It took me good half an hour..).
And, it seems like there is parametric table capability... but I am not impressed with GUI.
They seem to be trying to create 3D design somewhere between non-historic and historic.
And both ends seem to go beyond there territory. :)

Attachments

• 50LargeParametricModules.PNG
    50LargeParametricModules.PNG
    194.9 KB · Views: 125