What's new

Specifying Keyshot Materials in Alibre

voxelman

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify Keyshot materials in Alibre? I have Alibre Expert and the full up version of Keyshot with animation. It's a real drag to have to re-specify all of the Keyshot materials every time I make a change to the Alibre parts.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
No, it's not. Unfortunately and strange, since it's possible in the Keyshot version for the other cad packages...

Perhaps in the next version? 8)

voxelman

Ok, then has anyone worked enough with Keyshot to have come up with a method to "accelerate" material specification within Keyshot based on a previous almost identical model?

jhiker

Alibre Super User
'Material templates' is the way to do it - if you have it :D
Bring in a scene and add materials to it - create a material template - open a new scene and bring in the model - apply a material template - any parts in the model that have the same name will be assigned the relevant material.

Attachments

• 25-04-2013_Screenshot01.jpg
    25-04-2013_Screenshot01.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 70

voxelman

That is cooler than a Bandersnatch ie ferocious and extraordinarily fast.

Thank you so much.

Murray

Alibre Design Expert, Keyshot 4.0 with Animation

JUKKIS

It seems that Alibre/Geomagic exports BIP-file so that there is only one material which is common to all parts in assembly regardless if the parts have been defined to be for example steel or wood.
So wheb this BIP-file is imported to Keyshot it can't use material templates.

Is this ment to be like this or is it a bug ?

(BIP-file can be read also with wordpad, is normal ascii-code and there can be seen that all parts have the same material, like:
Part<1>_config<1>_mat

jhiker

Alibre Super User
You need to create a 'Material Template' in the first place. Thereafter parts with the same name can adopt those materials.
So if you change an assembly slightly (or create an entirely new one) but the majority of the parts retain the same name(s) it's simple to apply the previously created template.
It's a great time saver.
Read up on it here:

https://www.keyshot.com/keyshot4/manual/index.html

JUKKIS

Yep.

I can get it work with part names, no big problem, but material data from Part is not transferring to BIP-file (?)