What's new

Spiral groove in curved surface

bolsover

I'm looking for some advice on how to model a spiral groove on a curved surface.

The finished item is a clock fusee. the metal blank is generally per the image below

Fusee.jpg

The curve on the surface is of a fixed radius (2 11/16") . The groove needs to be 12 TPI.

I understand how to model a thread form - but only on a simple cylinder.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, db

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
This file may give some ideas - it probably needs work to be anything like what you are trying to achieve. Basic idea is to create some geometry that leads to an edge, that you can project into a 3d sketch to define your path for a sweep. I've left the temporary geometry suppressed, ultimately you might delete it when happy with the part.

Attachments

• Fusee.AD_PRT
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

AlexB

This file may give some ideas - it probably needs work to be anything like what you are trying to achieve. Basic idea is to create some geometry that leads to an edge, that you can project into a 3d sketch to define your path for a sweep. I've left the temporary geometry suppressed, ultimately you might delete it when happy with the part.
That's very smart, adding a temporary helical feature to create a spiral vertex to use as a reference line. Nice one, can use that technique on other problems.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't my idea, the basic approach was shown on the forum years ago.

IDSLK is correct - it is ridiculously fussy about the profile sketch - anything other than a circle may either fail entirely, or show some weird artefacts as the sweep introduces twist into the sweeping profile.