What's new

Split big 3d parts

beastro

Hi,

I want to print a 40cm diameter ring on my 3d printer with a platform of 170x180mm.

I am wondering how to split the ring into interlocking parts that maintain the shape without using adhesives. Does any of you have any interlocking design to accomplish that or do you know of any program that can do the splitting automatically?

Thanks
Berthold

I want to print a 40cm diameter ring on my 3d printer with a platform of 170x180mm.

I am wondering how to split the ring into interlocking parts that maintain the shape without using adhesives. Does any of you have any interlocking design to accomplish that or do you know of any program that can do the splitting automatically?
Berthold -- (1) Any (if you will) "snap join" is going to depend on the geometry being "joined." (2) 3D Printers rarely have finer resolution or tolerance than 0.015 mm making the printing of such "features" problematic. (2) Simple, "slip-fit alignment control features" are relatively simple to create and a few drops of adhesive are (generally) simple to apply and (usually) function well.

I made a "snap-fit" case for a client for a client a year or so ago and spent more than 10 hours scraping things to fit.

beastro

OK. I am waiting for a new MK3 and hope that printer will give me some more freedom in terms of accuracy. However, I will try my luck with dovetail sections for the moment and see where I get.

On the practical side for drawing it, what would you consider the best and quickest way to divide the ring in suitable sections?
I am thinking about:
  1. designing one ring section and doing a circular feature repeat to complete the whole ring. OR
  2. Design the whole ring and do successive extrude cuts assigned to different configurations.
Can you think of a better option?

beastro

I attach the part file for what I have been doing now.
  • I sketched a reference dovetail and divided the ring in 9 parts.
  • I copied then the sketch figure with reference point
  • created 9 configurations. One for each ring section
  • Pasted the copied sketch figure in each configuration sketch
  • Converted the relevant reference in sketch lines, projected the rest of the ring, trimmed and performed extrude cut
This is a lot of work for something so simple. Is there a better way?

Attachments

• Focuser_Ring_SplitSection.AD_PRT
    256 KB · Views: 6

ajayre

Alibre Super User
It's always best to try to make a single part that can be reused. For example for a ring you could make four identical quarters. Copy the box interlock method putting a tab on one end and a notch on the other.

Andy