What's new

Splitting body using existing plane?

Mfroejd

Is there any way of splitting a solid in to two different parts using an existing plane or by adding a plane where it is needed? I have a limit switch assembly which I downloaded from Traceparts and ideally i would like to split it up in to more parts and rename them.
I could remove them and make new ones of course but the geometry is already there. I just want to save them as parts.

Instead of removing them i just want to split the solid at these planes and rename them M12 connector and M20 to M16 reducer.

I hope I make sense in my question.

Attachments

• Split body 1.png
    Split body 1.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Split body 2.png
    Split body 2.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 14

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Save As a copy and then Extrude Cut different halves from each of the two Parts. You can split using a Plane if you don't mind losing 1 micron at the junction but that doesn't really help because they are still in the same Part......

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You cannot have two parts in one part file. Catia can do this but AD cannot. Instead you will need to do this:

1) Save your original complete file and close.
2) Open a new part window and boolean unite the original part into it.
3) Use a plane/face to split and keep what you want to keep. Or use extruded cut as suggested by Miles. Save As.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other bit you want to split and keep.

Now any changes you make to the original part will carry over to the new (split) parts which can now be used as separate entities.

Alternatively if your goal is use one main body and just switch between connectors/reducers you may want to try configs. Fantastic tool that will allow multiple 'designs' in one window.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
:confused:Where/How do you split a solid model with a Plane? Would you mind going thru the steps?
I've only used a Thin Extrude Cut and then removed the model pieces I didn't want.
My apologies. Its only doable using a surface that needs to be created in a separate part file and exported as an iges and then imported into the original part file. And for what ever reason was removed after V22.

Untitled.jpg

I haven't looked at AD for some time and answered from memory....

Nick952

Still there in V24 @bigseb , but moved (just to keep you on your toes).

Attachments

• Surface Tab.png
    Surface Tab.png
    117 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, that doesn't seem to be a very intuitive workflow. I'll need to play with that a bit to see how it works. It would sure be nice if Alibre could create surfaces natively without the extra work.

Edit: it seems you can create surfaces with in the current model without having to import an IGES from some other file, unless of course a specific shape is needed.

Last edited: