What's new

SSD pros & cons

srjacob

Couple of points.

I would be wary of using WD Blue, Green, or Black drives in a RAID configuration. There are known timeout problems with the Black drives, and the Blue or Green drive are too slow. If you want a fast RAID, use the RE4 drives instead. They are enterprise class drives and much more durable. I have used both, and prefer the RE4. They Synology can use any drive because the Synology uses a modified RAID, and the timeout problem doesn't occur.

As far as folder sizes go, on my SSD, here are the relevant folders:

Windows7--27GB
32 Bit Program Files: 21GB
64 Bit Program Files: 6GB
Program Data: 11 GB
System Volume Info: 5.1 GB
Users: 4.2 GB

Total data size on the SSD is 94.5GB.

However, you need about 15% extra space on the ssd for provisioning, and most ssds already come formatted this way. My 256GB drive has only 238GB useable space because of this. The provisioning takes into account the cleanup and reorganization workspace needed by the SSD firmware. Also keep in mind that you never want to fill up a disk to less than 10% full, otherwise Windows has problems with it. A 256 GB SSD drive has more than enough room for page files and temporary work files.

I got the Quadro because several of my apps, including Photoshop and Vectorworks, like the Quadro over the GeForce cards. Much better performance.

I went to the Synology NAS because I once had the sorry experience of using removable hard drives for backup. I would verify the backup after doing it, but it turns out that if a disk sits a while, it may develop errors or become unusable. This happened to me even though the drive was sitting in a fire safe. I much prefer a devices that continually checks the drive and reports errors rather than finding out the hard way. Also, I have had several USB dongle drives go bad on me, so be careful.

If you are using a Samsung SSD, get the Samsung Magician (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... loads.html). It is a small utility that keeps the drive optimized. It's free, and worth getting.

Steve

Alexander

Very valuable advice, much appreciated. :D
I am just in the process of emailing the shop to make changes to the spec, the 256GB SSD upgrade is a no-brainer so I will ask for that. Also I shall ask if they stock the RE4's.

To be honest I have only recently been taking the security of my files seriously having read of other peoples nightmare stories of lost data. It is know at the top of my to-do list. Thanks for the heads-up :wink:

srjacob

You are lucky. Oftentimes, you close the barn door only after the horse is stolen.

I have been in the IT business for a VERY long time, and can relate horror story after horror story.

I use Design Expert, but am considering switching to Solidworks because of the very buggy 2014 and the total lack of support.