What's new

STEP file conversion

PaulProe

When I import a step file and then save it as an Alibre Part file, it creates one "whole'" piece.

Is there a way to convert it into a true Alibre model or do I have to manually recreate the part in Alibre to have all the sketches & extrusions that make up the part?

Thx

Paul

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
STEP files are dumb solids, they have no history. So Yes, you will need to recreate the model in Alibre if you want all the feature sketches. IF you are lucky enough to have a dimensioned drawing of the part it would be a bit easier. Otherwise there is a lot of measuring of the STEP to get the same size features in the new model.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
IF you are lucky enough to have a dimensioned drawing of the part it would be a bit easier. Otherwise there is a lot of measuring of the STEP to get the same size features in the new model.
I do it by using the imported step to create planes for sketches and projecting those sketches to, then use a lot of 'project to sketch'. Then you can finally suppress the original imported stp object feature. You don't need to measure anything because all the geometry information is already there to build the Alibre model from.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If only modest changes are required, you can likely just use the imported file 'as is' then build extra features on to it. Also don't forget the direct editing tools which can often give a faster way to adjust imported geometry.

PaulProe

Simon, Thanks for your tip. Fortunately, my parts are relatively simple so 3-5 sketches and I've duplicated the part.

Fortunately, dual displays allow me to quickly measure STEP files as needed to modify or project another at the same time. Little tedious, but I've able to knock it out in short time.

Paul