What's new

.step Files

Old Geeser

I downloaded a .step file today from grab Cad in order to 3D print a case for my wife's new phone. I decided it would be fun to add her name into it. The .step file came into Alibre as an assembly instead of a part file. When I tried to create text and cut it from the assembly it said "no solid found". How do I edit a .step file?
Thanks
Karl

Latitude

Post the original step file here if you're comfortable with it - possible that you need to play with the import options eg. heal and make tolerant to make it load as a solid.

Old Geeser

Thanks Latitude. I tried loading with both heal & tolerant checked and it still loaded as an assembly. Attached is the .step file.
Karl

Attachments

• iPhone SE 3 Case.step
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Latitude

Yep it does load as an assembly but it loads as a solid for me so you should be able to make the cuts.

If you want it as a part just right click and edit in separate window.
1668580580615.png
1668580612487.png

I've attached a step file that should open as a part in case it helps.

Attachments

• case-part.stp
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Open the STEP file and Export it as a SAT file (ACIS 30 or 31). The SAT file will then open as a part.

Old Geeser

Yep, Lattitude, When I loaded your file it came in as a solid and I could add my wife's name to it. However, it came in as a much smaller file. I can fix that with the scale feature at 3D print time.
I tried open in a separate window function, and I was not able to duplicate your success.
Next, I am going to try Harold's suggestion to export as a SAT file.
Thanks to both of you for your time.
Karl

Abhijit

Hi Harold, I also experienced the same with importing a .step AP214 from MOI.
It came in as an Assembly. I searched the forum and found your SAT file advice from earlier and it worked.
Another thing that worked was, exporting as step the imported step file, and then importing that file brings it in as a part.
Found it interesting, but don't know the reasoning behind it.

Old Geeser

I tried the load .step file and export to .step and it did not work for me, Abhijit, but thanks for the suggestion.
HaroldL's suggestion worked great and allowed me to import it and edit it as I wanted as long as I unchecked the change units function.
Thanks again to all of you.
Karl

Adi

There is another option-I think much faster ;)
look at tree- there is part named case- just right click on name, then open it in new window (sorry, don't known exact english name for that command- as I have Polish language), and it will open that exact part.

Attachments

• alibre.png
    alibre.png
    31 KB · Views: 12