What's new

still no support to model real threads in AD v26 or later?

wolfCAD23

Hi,

I am trying to 3D print a part which has several threads. Unfortunately they got not exported to the stl file. Searching this forum I found some posts from 2019 and 2021, that hole and external threads tools in Alibre Design are only for visuals, and are not really modelling a thread. If you wanted real threads, you have to model them by yourself with helical cuts.

Is this really still the case for v26, which I've just bought? At least I couldn't find any option in the settings.

If it is just visual, what is the benefit of having the hole and external threads tools?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is still the case.

As to benefit, the cosmetic tools do 2 things that are useful
1. Give visual cue in model that an item is threaded.
2. Automatically transfer thread details to the 2D drawing in the callout, and the standard representation of threads in the view.

colintd

Agree it would be great to have native support, but for now you can achieve the same result for 3D printing using a sketch of the thread form and helical boss tool.

jasonmburns

Yes, most other 3D CAD programs such as Fusion 360 have similar thread making abilities. I don't know why this still isn't a priority for Alibre. I have been requesting it for a very long time. :(