What's new

Stress Analysis Question - Please Help!!!!!!!!

leeave96

Stress Analysis Question - Please Help!!!!!!!!

OK, I have confused myself again!

I have a part that is made of steel. It is a cantilevered tab. The length of the cantilevered tab is 1.125". The height of the tab is .25" and the width of the tab is 1".

I am trying to solve for the max amount of weight I can rest on the tip of this tab.

Soooo:

Stress (S) = Mc/I

M = lbs x L

L = 1.125

h = .25", therefore c = .125"

b = 1"

I = (b x h^3)/12 => (1 x .25^3)/12 => 0.0013in^4

Rearaanging the stress formula and substituting in the values for M, I get:

S = lbs x L x c / I

Solving for lbs:

lbs = S x I / c x L => (S x 0.0013) / (.125 x 1.125)

My question is - for stress (S), do I use the modulus of elasticity (which for this problem is 30 x 10^6 psi) or yield strength in shear (which for this problem is 36 x 10^3 psi)?

With MoE, I get 277,333 lbs.

With yield, I get 322.8 lbs.

The yield answer seems more like it is correct to me.

Again, I have gotton myself confused and my second question is when solving for an allowable stress in such a problem as shown above, when does one use MoE or yield?

Thanks much!
Bill

jbeard

You are correct that you should be using yield strength for the calculation you have here.

The modulus of elasticity would come into play if you wanted deflection, hooke's law:
S=Ee
or
stress = (modulus of elasticity) * strain

Or in your case the deflection at the end or the beam
d=(PL^3)/(3EI)
where d is deflection, P is the load, L is length, E is modulus, and I is moment of inertia.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Willbur

Bill, you really should use the yield strength in tension (not shear) since the bending formula you're using actually calculates the tension/compression in the outer surfaces of the part. As in all engineering design calculations,

:!: Don't forget the safety factor :!:

Cameraman

Willbur is right all the way around:

. . . use the Sy in tension (because you are examining bending, not shear . . .

. . . and be sure to include a safety factor! This latter point is critical because it is what permits you to make the simplifying assumptions (such as c=t/2) that make your analyses easy.

Regards and good luck,
Greg :D

McGuyver

Re:

I concur with Wilbur and cameraman. You will want to use the tensile yield strength of steel in this equation. And by all means, use a safety factor, otherwise, all you will be calculating is the load at which the beam will experience peramanent plastic deformation due to bending. Good luck!