What's new

Structural members script

CGN

Structural members script

Hi,

I would like to know if alibre users are using alibre for structural modeling and structural design work, like modeling beams and metallic structures in general, I have discussing an idea with alexfranke and he is interested if there is enough interest and support, the idea is to use the API to write an script to be able to generate structural members (basically beams and plate stiffeners) from selecting a line, polyline, arc or spline, so the actual part is generated automatically by the script, so far I was thinking on something like this:

1- Select the "path", and run the script.
2- Once the script is running it will open a menu were you can select form a catalog the profile that will generate the "solid beam" (angle, I beam or flatbar etc..)
3- once the profile is selected then the next step will be to select the orientation of the profile, for example, if an angle is selected, then at the dialog screen it will show which direction the angle flange will "point towards"

This is just an idea on what the script should be able to do, but mostly the purpose of the email is to see if there is any true interest for a tool like this.

Thank you, all comments are welcome

indesign

Alibre Super User

My bet is this would take several hundred in contributions before spending that much time on a progect that could be this size. Maybe Alibre would chip in. :shock:

I do not use that type of modeling myself but isnt there some realing good software on the market just for steel structural design? Or is the software too costly?

CGN

Too costly, and basically this is not a full blown "structural design package" or "add on" to Alibre, Alibre has the tools and using the API it may be possible to create such parts, the advantage is to reduce the time that takes to model that many parts for a design (50 - 100 beams or stiffeners etc..), for the script there is no bill of material involved and no "automatic" tracking of the elements used, by this I mean that you still will input your own BOM data, this is only the proposal of be able to automate the steps to create such parts.

k5man

Structural shapes are included in the Alibre Parts Library for those who have Alibre Pro or Expert. However, a script would make it easier for users to add more shapes and sizes later. Given that, I would like to see it done.

Personaly, I would like to see scripts for generating standard fasteners such as bolts, srews, nuts, washers etc. There have been may times I have had to try to modify bolts and screws from the parts library because the supplied items were too short or too long. It would be nice to specifiy a head type, diameter, thread series, thread pitch, and length then let the script generate the part.

My $0.02.

Karl

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

k5man said:
Structural shapes are included in the Alibre Parts Library for those who have Alibre Pro or Expert. However, a script would make it easier for users to add more shapes and sizes later. Given that, I would like to see it done.

Personaly, I would like to see scripts for generating standard fasteners such as bolts, srews, nuts, washers etc. There have been may times I have had to try to modify bolts and screws from the parts library because the supplied items were too short or too long. It would be nice to specifiy a head type, diameter, thread series, thread pitch, and length then let the script generate the part.

My $0.02.

Karl

That is more of my line of work as well!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Basically you can cut a bit off it using an extrude cut. The parts from the library are dumb solids.

You might like to search the forum though, somebody produced a tool to produce fasteners - try searching for 'screw selector' - it may be helpful.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
This has to be the most random topic to ask this on. Especially since it is not relevant to the original topic and has been dead for years.

That said David is right. Cut extrude is about all you can do to most.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User
Screw Selector is here.

I've noticed that starting with v11, Alibre must be running before attempting to produce a fastener. Screw selector will no longer start Alibre for you. :evil:

Now I feel guilty for not working on it more... just because they expect me to do work around here... :lol:

normc

I downloadied your "screw selector" program and tied it. Pretty neat!

I am not sure if this was a fluke, but when I went back to try downloading a screw from the "Alibre Parts Library", all of the library content was not there.
I had to uninstall and reinstall "Alibre Part Library" to get it to work like before. :?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Jube

Hi, I would like to see this line to member script also. I detail steel structures and although there are programs that are dedicated to detailing steel, they are way out there as far as price. I am just a single detailer and although 2d is probably faster, it is nice to be able to put together your structures and check for discrepancies in layouts and dimensions. It would be nice if you could draw 3d straight lines for your members and then highlight line for substitution of steel parts. the line would be the center and top of the member, beam, angle etc. I've had some ideas, but am no programmer. Would like to see some more input on this.

Dev