What's new

Sub assemblies in exploded view

Maavhamt

Is there a way to prevent sub assemblies being exploded in exploded view? I have an assembly made up of sub assembles. I have already done the sub assembly exploded view diagrams and now want to assemble them into an overall assembly. But when I try to do that the sub assemblies "explode" as well. Is there a way of keeping them together? I have ticked the "Treat as a part in BOM" check box.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Use Manual Explode - that should give you a lot of control over how the explode is done, you should be able to drag a sub-assembly . You can also right click specific parts and 'restore to default position' (to 'unexplode' them).

One thing that is needed is to be able to select a SubAssy from the File Explorer and have all the "components" of a SubAssy be Selected for an Ex[lode. That way they would all "move as one!"

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can select sub assembly from Design Explore when Manual Explode is active - the whole sub assembly (all components) can then be dragged together.

You can select sub assembly from Design Explore when Manual Explode is active - the whole sub assembly (all components) can then be dragged together.
Hi David -- I have been "asking for this" since Alibre V10 and, as of this morning (in Version: 2018.2 64-bit [Build 19071]) it does not work (within Windows 7 Ultimate).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
David, That's really nice. There seems to be a trick to it though. First one of the components of the sub assembly should be selected in the assembly workspace to get the Triad, then select the sub assembly in the Design Explorer. And finally select and move the Triad to move the entire sub assembly.

I found that I can even move parts that are patterns or groups, like fasteners - nuts, washers, etc. using the same technique. Select a first part to get the Triad, then Shift-select the list of items in the Design Explorer and finally select the Triad and move all the parts.

I hardly ever use explode so when I did use it I wasn't using it in the most efficient manner. Thanks for the tip.

Idahoan

Being able to right click on a part to undo the explode move is nice, there have been times that I have started over because things weren't were I wanted them. This is a very helpful tip.

Dave

Maavhamt

Another question, is there a way of selecting which parts have part trails? I can only find a way of having part trails for all of them or none but I want to select which parts have trails.

Also can one call out balloon have more than one arrow, e.g. if you have several identical parts, you want to identify them all but don't want several call out balloons?

Last edited: