What's new

Surface disappears with tangent constraint

slipstick

Here's one - if I make the circle of the smaller cylinder tangent to the larger cylinder surface, the surface it is drawn on disappears. The red circle is where I made the tangent constraint.

upload_2018-5-12_10-14-16.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It's easily reproducible, so I would raise a ticket for the dev team to look at ...

upload_2018-5-12_17-27-52.png

It only seems to fail under certain conditions ... One set of conditions to make it fail is ...

To Reproduce : Set Sketch<1> diameter to 100mm, Sketch<2> diameter < 34mm = FAIL, >= 34mm = OK.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This problem is still prevalent then is it? Was really hoping it would have been fixed by now...

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
SurfaceAndTangentCon (1).jpg
Its a Bug, and happens when the minor cylinders axis fall into the plane, a minor distance at some thents of a millimeter as shown here "cure"
failure.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I hope it gets looked at soon.
I see this quite often, but was never able to find out what is causing it.
Now that I look it does look like it has something to do with tangent constraints.
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So here's something interesting...

Modelled this in AD. Added fillets. Worked fine.

Capture.JPG

Then I modelled it in Catia. Couldn't do it!

Capture2.JPG

Didn't expect Catia to say uncle so easily...

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Modelled this in AD. Added fillets. Worked fine.

I duped this and it worked fine also.

Seb, Try closing the file and Alibre and then reopening the file without the fillets. Just curious.

I couldn't help playing with this one. It looked so simple. There seems to be a DEFINITE FIX for this. Don't get me wrong, that's not to say that it shouldn't be happening. It still needs fixing in the code.

I tried using dimensions, random placement, different sizes for cylinder 2 and Tangent constraint. The only thing that I could reproduce,
regardless of the method of drawing, was to CHANGE the Render Quality. CHANGING was the key, not the setting of RQ. I could start out
FINE and change down or start out COARSE and change up and the transparency went away. Sometimes it would reopen OK and other times it wouldn't. BUT changing RQ ALWAYS fixed it.

There were still a few dozen more combinations I could have tried but I do have to sleep sometimes. ;) (I ain't no Leonardo yet)

Attachments

• Example RQ Fine.AD_PRT
    399.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Example RQ Change from Fine-1 to Fine - New OPEN of This One - Change down to Fine-1.AD_PRT
    304 KB · Views: 2

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I tried using dimensions, random placement, different sizes for cylinder 2 and Tangent constraint. The only thing that I could reproduce,
regardless of the method of drawing, was to CHANGE the Render Quality. CHANGING was the key, not the setting of RQ. I could start out
FINE and change down or start out COARSE and change up and the transparency went away. Sometimes it would reopen OK and other times it wouldn't. BUT changing RQ ALWAYS fixed it.
I can too confirm that using my geometry numbers in post #2, with a RQ of less than FINE, causes the face to disappear. Set the RQ to FINE and it appears. After that, changing the RQ does not make the face go away. So, the issue is the initial calculation/render of the face and the RQ that is selected at that time.
Note : If the RQ is FINE before the part is drawn, it shows the face as expected.

dwc

Alibre Super User
By FINE I mean ...
... any other setting causes face issues.

I can not cooberate this statement. For me it is _changing_ the facet resolution that will solve things _for the current part edit_.
After saving the part and opening it again the resolution will need to be changed again. The resolution value is of no importance, it is making the change that does the trick.
Don

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I can not cooberate this statement. For me it is _changing_ the facet resolution that will solve things _for the current part edit_.
After saving the part and opening it again the resolution will need to be changed again. The resolution value is of no importance, it is making the change that does the trick.
Don
This is generally what I get too.