What's new

SVG Import Anomaly

I'm trying to do some vector graphics work. I have drawn a logo using inkscape. It's scaled properly there so it is about 15x15mm square.

This is the logo and how it appears in inkscape.
1690229261545.png

The problem is when I import it to a sketch in alibre, the "E" in "Alert" gets moved way over to the left (3rd arrow). The majority of the logo is located microscopically where the middle arrow is pointing. I believe the 2 sketch pieces appear microscopic and not centered on the origin (left most arrow, arrow #1) because the E is so far away from the actual main portion of the logo (middle arrow, arrow #2).
1690229082102.png

Why might Alibre be importing the SVG incorrectly? What should I do instead in order to get my inkscape vector drawing into alibre?

I attempted to upload the SVG but the forum doesn't seem to allow those files.

Attachments

• Broken svg import.AD_PRT
    535 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When I tried to import the SVG into Alibre I got an 'Unsupported file type' message.
So, I opened your logo in Inkscape then saved it as DXF. I then was able to open the dxf in an Alibre drawing workspace.
I then activated Sketch on Sheet and did an Edit>Select All followed by Edit>Explode Symbol, and finally Edit>Select All and Edit>Copy.

Then I opened a part workspace and started a sketch on the ZY plane followed by a RMB click and selected Paste Stamper and placed the copied sketch.
When I analyzed the sketch it was loaded with Degenerate Figures. The analyze tool was able to remove them one at a time with the Heal option.
sketch in a part.jpg

Even after cleaning up the sketch it would not extrude and showed this status message.
extrude error.jpg

H.C

opened in rhino, (21 closed loops) > saved as svg
opened in alibre > 1 open loop @bottom head.

check export settings inkscape > preference > (padstring) set to absolute.
when exported, there is also only one open loop @ bottom head. Close it & you can extrude it.

opened in rhino, (21 closed loops) > saved as svg
opened in alibre > 1 open loop @bottom head.

check export settings inkscape > preference > (padstring) set to absolute.
when exported, there is also only one open loop @ bottom head. Close it & you can extrude it.
Where can I find padstring? I'm not seeing it using the setting search box in inkspace global preferences.