What's new

Sweep 3D Line

bolsover

Just tinkering with some shapes..
Having a problem with a sweep along a closed 3D line (actually a series of line segments)
The sweep only completes a small section of the line??

Suggestions - is this a bug?

Screenshot 2022-08-24 214506.png

bolsover

Hmmm Odd
If I select 'Rigid' in the sweep boss dialog it completes..Screenshot 2022-08-24 214930.png

Attachments

• Sweep Test.AD_PRT
    414 KB · Views: 7

simonb65

Alibre Super User
What do you get if you reduce the radius of the sketch circle you are sweeping (Sketch<1>)? Is it a problem with overlapping geometry on the tight bends? ... although, I would have expected an error rather than an incomplete feature!

bolsover

What do you get if you reduce the radius of the sketch circle you are sweeping (Sketch<1>)? Is it a problem with overlapping geometry on the tight bends? ... although, I would have expected an error rather than an incomplete feature!
I've tried various incantations; reducing radius of circle and selecting/deselecting rigid. I can only get a complete feature when rigid is selected.
I've also tried importing the data as both a spline and a series of lines but can only get any result with series of lines.
I'm attaching the .csv (in a .zip) if you care to try..
David

Attachments

• data.zip
    700 bytes · Views: 1

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you need
* A gap at some point in the path sketch
* A smaller profile circle so that the result doesn't become self intersecting on the tighter radius bends

bolsover

Looks like you need
* A gap at some point in the path sketch
* A smaller profile circle so that the result doesn't become self intersecting on the tighter radius bends
@DavidJ Thanks. I have now managed a complete sweep. a circle of 0.9 was needed.
Not quite sure why I didn't get this to work previously..

David

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of interest - why did you use a 3D sketch of for the path, when all points were in the XY plane? A 2D sketch would have sufficed (it has exactly the same issues as your try with 3D sketch).

bolsover

Just out of interest - why did you use a 3D sketch of for the path, when all points were in the XY plane? A 2D sketch would have sufficed (it has exactly the same issues as your try with 3D sketch).
No particular reason other than the possibility of 'weaving' the shape into something even more interesting! But to do that I'll need an even number of intersections... and some more math!
David