What's new

Sweep along a u shape line

ClaudeG

Hi,
I am trying to make a sweep. my first sketch i a u shape line on plan ZX; when close sketch it tells me the figure is open. My second sketch is the surface to be swept and is closed without error.
When resquest sweep I get the following werror message:
ACISERROR_INVALID_BODY_RESULT: Opération - La fonction abouti à un solide non valable.
If I close the sketch which is the path, than I get the sweep with the extra wall, I need to cut after. The documentation in the help file indicates it should work with the path open.
Is the help file in error?

Hi Claude.
Start with the closed profile first.
Then the open path in a plane that is on a 90 degree.to first sketch.
Have origin as center for both.
Try a simple circle and a bent line first to understand how it works.
Kind regards,
Christian

ClaudeG

Hi Claude.
Start with the closed profile first.
Then the open path in a plane that is on a 90 degree.to first sketch.
Have origin as center for both.
Try a simple circle and a bent line first to understand how it works.
Kind regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,
If I close the path, the sweep happens. But it is not what the documentation says.
If I proceed so, then, I build an other sketch to cut the volume build on the line to close the path. I will do this if this is the way to do it.

ClaudeG

Hi again,
I was not clear I beleive. My path is a sketch in U shape, it is my first sketck. My second sketch is the surface to be swept to build the desired volume. To succeed to sweep, I need the close the 2 ends of the U shape (first sketch). Of course after I need to remove the material generated by the closing line of the U shape.
When help is invoked, it shows that the path does not need to be a closed figure.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Claude, If you are automatically Analyzing the sketches you can uncheck the option to check for open loops in the Analyze tool and it won't flag the sketch as open.

Open loop check.png

Open loop unchecked.png

OR just turn off automatic sketch analyzing in the System Options:
Turn Off Analyze Sketch.png

Also, make sure the radius of the U-shaped path is not less than the profile or it will intersect itself and fail.

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
Just ignore the non-closed warning. It has no effect on making the sweep.

But if your path is 2 cm between "legs", and the shape to be swept is too big (at or over 2 cm diameter) then it will intersect and fail.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I am joining the file.
Claude,
Your profile sketch is located incorrectly on the path. Maybe this image will help:

failed sweep.png

Think of it like a hose that will kink when it is bent too sharply. The inside of the profile must be allowed to follow the inside radius of the sweep.

Here is the profile moved off the origin by 1 mm.:
Profile Adjusted.png

Attachments

• Patron de bout avec 2 jeux_Adusted Profile.AD_PRT
    368 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ClaudeG

Hi HaroldL,
but if in the sketch1, you close the open ends with a line, than the sweep will happen, This is what I did, and after cut the non wanted portion.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Claude, I have no idea, that is a question for Alibre Support, maybe they have some insight on how or why it works with a closed path.
I've had closed sweep paths that have failed many times. I try to look at the profile and figure out the inside radii of the sweep and place the path accordingly.

So for your design, what are the dimensions needed for the inside radii of the profile? Dimension to place the sketch according to those dimensions and you may not need to cut any "non wanted" material.

Last edited:

ClaudeG

Here, what I have done. It gives me what I wanted.
Is it me who shouls contact Alibre support?

Attachments

• Patron de bout avec 2 jeux.AD_PRT
    377.5 KB · Views: 6

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello ClaudeG,

here another attempt...

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• Patron_de_bout_avec_2_jeux_forum.AD_PRT
    370.5 KB · Views: 10

GeorgD

Hello ClaudeG,

all your problems are in your sketches. resulting areas must not run to zero. Because they would cut themselves. I only adjusted the sketch by 0.005 mm.

Georg

Attachments

• Patron de bout avec 2 jeux v2.AD_PRT
    410.5 KB · Views: 5