What's new

Sweep Boss

Willis123

Does the sketch that I want to sweep along a path object need to have the path inside its perimeter? I have a shape that's away from the path (path is not inside the shape) and AD isn't letting me do it.

Also, can you use a circle as a sweep path?

JST

Alibre Super User
path can be outside the perimeter.

Yes you can. Sweeping a circle along a circle get s torus, no problem..

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have a shape that's away from the path (path is not inside the shape) and AD isn't letting me do it.
Inspect your sketches to see if there is an issue with them. Also what is the Status message for the Sweep? Make sure you don't have a bend in the path that is too sharp or you'll get an "intersecting surface" error.

I just discovered that v22 sweeps will tolerate some amount of "kinking' of the swept feature.

KinkedSweep.png

Willis123

Can you take a look at my part? I would like to sweep Sketch 9 along Sketch 10 but AD won't budge (OK is greyed out). The analyzer can't find any problems. Does the order in which the sketches are listed in the tree matter? I'm using V22.

Attachments

• Brake light housing RIGHT (ID 2496).AD_PRT
    397 KB · Views: 13

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You cannot reuse sketch 10 because it is "consumed" by Sweep 11. You need to create a new sketch path by using Project to Sketch to project sketch 10 into the new sketch. Then it will work.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
You have to project to sketch Sketch<10> and make a new copy as it's already been consumed by Sweep<11>

Mike Fleury

Inspect your sketches to see if there is an issue with them. Also what is the Status message for the Sweep? Make sure you don't have a bend in the path that is too sharp or you'll get an "intersecting surface" error.

I just discovered that v22 sweeps will tolerate some amount of "kinking' of the swept feature.

View attachment 31813
That's interesting and very usable, Alibre has always been very paranoid about kinking a sweep. This will be helpful when drawing wire routing.