What's new

Sweep Error - Atom 3D

I'm trying to sweep a rod within a tube using the sweep path of the tube for the path of the rod. Firstly I have created 3D sweep path ( using 2D sketches ). I sweep the tube in "Sweep 6" using Sketch1 and Sketch 2 as the path. Works fine.

Next I go back and sketch in the rod "sketch 4" and try to again select the same path "Sketch 1 & Sketch 2" and no dice. The "OK" is not activatied in the sweep feature dialog. See Figure below:

Capture 3.JPG

So I figure the path sketches (1&2 ) are now owned by "Sweep 6" and are un-selectable for further use in the model?

From there I go to plan B: Make new path sketches from the projection tool maintaining associativity.

Sketch 4 is to be swept. Sketches 5 & 6 are copies of sketch 1 and 2. When sketch 5 is selected I get the following preview:

Capture 4.JPG

When Sketch 6 is added to the path: Error

Capture 5.JPG

Any Ideas on what is going on?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sweep works on sketched profiles, not on solid objects.

Sketches can only be used once, though they can be copied using 'Project to Sketch'.

We might be able to comment more usefully if you upload your part file...

Sweep works on sketched profiles, not on solid objects.

Sketches can only be used once, though they can be copied using 'Project to Sketch'.

We might be able to comment more usefully if you upload your part file...

Attachments

• Sweep Experiment.AD_PRT
    222.5 KB · Views: 4
admittedly what I'm doing is not something you come across much in application, but it doesn't seem to be at fundamental odds with how a "sweep" typically operates IMHOP. I'm trying "strange-ish" things so I can understand how to operate the program.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Your part cannot open on my computer, I get this error message:
WhatsThis.png

You might try just editing the first profile sketch for the tube sweep and add to it for the solid center, just add a circle.

I get the same error too! I was messing around making folders and moving the files around in the cloud. I must have corrupted it in the process...

Your part cannot open on my computer, I get this error message:
View attachment 34412

You might try just editing the first profile sketch for the tube sweep and add to it for the solid center, just add a circle.

That is a work around ( I wasn't aware you could sweep multiple loops ). However, I found out why I was getting the error after recreating the part ( a fortuitous file corruption after all ). When I was projecting the paths as new sketches there is a "don't project reference geometry" box that needs to be checked as well as the "maintain association". I missed that and I think some subtle reference geometry that I did not catch in the second trajectory was the root cause of the "multiple paths" error in the sweep.

It now works fine. All is good again...

Sorry for wasting anyone's time.