What's new

Syncronizing repositories on laptop & desktop

pcomp

Syncronizing repositories on laptop & desktop

I want to able able to keep my laptop and desktop repositories syncronized. I want to have the latest repository with me when I take my laptop on the road, and then be able to log my changes back into the desktop repository when I get home. If I create a repository on each computer and the sync them via a syncronization program will they be OK? i.e. not corupted or have broken references etc.

How do I find which files to sync/copy?

Should I just copy the whole repository each time?

Would I have to work on one computer, then sync before I work on the other?

Thanks,

Stephen

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I am not sure but I don't know that you can easily accomplish your goal. What I have done is use a USB drive that I can plug into any machine running Alibre and have my complete repository with me. You do have to modify the Repository Config file, but that is easy because it is a plain text file.

pcomp

I have seen instructions for doing this, but I don't want to have to have my repository on a removable drive. My desktop machines USB ports are not easily acessable.

Stephen

swertel

Alibre Super User

Create a snapshot of the latest repository (for example, your workstation).

Load the snapshot onto your labtop and work from there.

When returning home, take a snapshot of the labtop's repository and restore it to your workstation.

It works in theory.

Cameraman

Re:

mr.ska said:
You could always buy a USB cable, plug it in, and have *that* easily accessible.

This is the solution that I use. If you often have more than one item plugged in, then buy a USB hub instead and you will have a handful of ports easily at hand.

Regards,
Greg :D

Willbur

As long as the entire repository moves together you can make sync copies of it with no trouble (at least that I've noticed). I do most of my work in the file system, but most of my initial concepts are done in local repositories (just so nobody else can mess with them until I work through the basic concept :wink: ). I've used both the Make Files Available Offline option in WinXP and working in a Briefcase. I have a desktop in the office and a laptop that I travel with (much like you do I suspect) and my experience has been that the Briefcase option is actually easier as long as you don't mind manually synchronizing the two machines. The easiest way to set it up is as follows:

-Create a briefcase on the laptop
-Create a local repository in the briefcase that has the same name as the one on your desktop that you want to use (to take care of linking the repository - you can also manually link to it).
-Copy the repository folder off the desktop and overwrite the one in the briefcase.

You can also do this with the entire set of repositories. You just need to remember that you need to Update (Right-click on the briefcase and hit Update All) if you made changes in one place before working on the files in the other.

My purposes in doing this are not so much to switch back and forth as I do 95% of my work on the laptop, but to ensure that the data is backed up - the desktop and associated server run automated backups. I've had no problems restoring the data after a crash/reinstall either.