What's new

System Crashed, need to re-install

bobster

I had a major system crash, resulted in a re-format and restore to original.....
Now I don't have my license key and it does not appear to be available from the Geomagic site, like it was in the Alibre site.
I have contacted support via email, let's see how they respond.
I downloaded the application but I'm holding off using it as a trial version.
I need the Geomagic license and the Vault license.
I stopped writing down these numbers, hey, what can go wrong???? LOL
Any clues on how to proceed?

JST

Alibre Super User
Dunno about that, but you might want to check into doing a disk image backup when you are running again.

With that, you can simply dump the same stuff in the same relationship onto a new (or re-formatted) disk, and all is EXACTLY as it was before.

I assume that would be nearly trouble-free, as far as licenses, maybe the experts know otherwise.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Support will give you your log-in information. You may need to contact Flexera to free up the license that wasn't deactivated (I would email them anyway, can't hurt). Everything will be sorted.

And back-up, back-up, back-up!! :)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Your Vault licence key should be available via the OLD Alibre web site.

bobster

Here's the status report:
Called 3D Systems support to follow-up the ticket I submitted last night.
Talked to the support rep, I think his name was Phil.
The email with the keys was in my inbox within 5 minutes.
I'll continue the system build tonight.
Yup, back-up, back-up....I thought I had that covered but when I took my laptop with me on vacation the back-up s/w didn't restart when I returned, 1'st mistake.
2'nd mistake, I didn't pay attention to where my "saved" email file were actually saved, on my crashed hard drive of course, I knew that but I was confident that I was backing u OK, I wasn't.
Yes, I will pay very close attention to my back-up strategy in the future.
Fortunately my CAD files and Photoshop work was backed-up, so no great loss there.
But stuff like Quicken and Tax files are gone for 2015.
I'll post how well the recovery goes, but I'm very pleased with the response form 3D Systems, I have no complaints in that area.

JST

Alibre Super User
Next time.... if you use a disk image to an independent USB-connected multi-TB drive, you will be literally able to take up where you left off after restoring.

I use Drive Image XML to do the backups to an external drive. So far I have never needed it, but at a previous workplace, it was used and worked well for the IT folks.

The 3DS people are pretty good about stuff like that.

bobster

Thanks for the disk image advise, that's one back-up plan that I'll put into action.
Some advise I've received points me to the utilities in Windows 7, I want to explore all the option, good to know what other folks are using.

I did the install last night with no issues, both help request resulted in an email response with the keys, links and instructions.

I'll do the Vault install next and report on how that goes.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I use Macrium Reflect at home - it's very good and there's a free version which is very capable.

bobster

Status update:
I had some issues with vault, once I had the license key and serial number, vault installed and worked with Geomagic.
BUT when I restored the vault with my back-up the M-Files client did not see the restored vault, I struggled and finally uninstalled the client, after I restored the vault and could see it in the server administrator.
I then re-installed vault and all the files in the restored vault were available.

I flailed away alone for this issue, I have had it before but couldn't remember the solution, I guess the un-install and re-install did the trick.

Again I want to state that the support I got from Geomagic was fast and professional, I was just stubborn with this last vault issue and didn't ask for help.

My new system is up and running, next step will be to re-establish my back-up drive and get that back on the air.