What's new

Tangent to a doughnut

steveastro

Tangent to a doughnut

Has anyone any suggestions how I can constrain a plane to be tangent to the surface of a torus, perpendicular to the axis of the torus ?

Thanks

Steve

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

You need two planes. One is a "reference plane" created perpendicular to the plane torus sketch is on. In the torus sketch, create a dimension from the reference plane to the circle defining the torus. The second plane is created from the "reference plane" using the dimension from the sketch

I'll put a post in the binaries.

http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3459

Regards,

Jordan

steveastro

Re:

JordanCClark said:
You need two planes. One is a "reference plane" created perpendicular to the plane torus sketch is on. In the torus sketch, create a dimension from the reference plane to the circle defining the torus. The second plane is created from the "reference plane" using the dimension from the sketch

Clever ! Thanks for that - So there isn´t a more "formal" method ?

Steve

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be. You may be able to do it with less, but this way will work, no matter where the torus is.

As a side note, you cannot access a plane in any way while inside a 2D sketch. The only reason I was able to make a dimension from the "reference plane" is because of the axis used in creating it.

***WARNING!! MATH CONTENT AHEAD*** :!:
I think this is beacuse trying to measure to a plane creates a problem with tryng to measure to a possible 3rd dimension (ie: where the heck on the plane are you tyring to measure to?).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jordan

steveastro

Re:

JordanCClark said:
***WARNING!! MATH CONTENT AHEAD*** :!:

Hell, if you're scared of math, you shouldn't be doing 3D CAD :)

I think this is beacuse trying to measure to a plane creates a problem with tryng to measure to a possible 3rd dimension (ie: where the heck on the plane are you tyring to measure to?).

If it was axiomatic that it was the Normal distance from the point to the plane ?

Steve

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

I would say yes if the two planes stayed perpendicular, However, if you are measuring to a plane that is at an angle to the one you are using, what would we call normal? Would it be shortest distace to the plane, or the shortest distance to where the planes intersect?

Now to kick up some more sand, :lol:

By definition, plane is an infinite number of points. Which one of those did you want to use to be tangent to the circle?

I better go to bed before I talk about smelling the color 9... :p

Regards,

Jordan