What's new

TCT Show Review

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Today I visited the 2016 TCT Show at the NEC in Birmingham. In a few words: it was absolutely amazing and covered everything from home/desktop printing to high level, cutting edge industrial printing.

The consumer/desktop grade brands were represented in great variety i.e. printers, filaments, accessories and scanners. Printers were represented by Makerbot (all working btw ;) ), Ultimaker, Zortrax, Up!, Lulzbot and many more. Some of the new printers were simply mind blowing. They are very well built and look the business. Much has changed in the last two years since I bought mine. Filament brands were certainly in abundance. I got much loot. Again there has been a lot of development in this area. I look forward to many weekends of 'product testing'. Accessories (steppers, belts, pulleys, etc) and scanners from 3D Systems, Einscan and others I already forgot were there too.

There were also a ton of industrial and commercial grade product available. To be honest my interest in these was fleeting as they are way out of my affordability. Laser metal sintering has certainly come a long way too. The prints and machines on show that I looked at were truly amazing. In particular the hybrid CNC mill and laser sintering machine. They made an entire cavity plate in one setup in 24 hours! This normally involves machining/drilling from six sides and EDM that could take days using normal procedures. Wow. Representing this sector were Stratasys, Renishaw, Sodick, HP and others. (Yes, HP was there and had working printers. Top shelf stuff)

But lets stop beating about the bush. Lets get to 3D Systems. They were not present but two resellers were. The one did not even advertise Geomagic Design as it simply did not sell. He has not not received any news on GD in ages. The other said pretty much the same except he at least advertised it. The first mentioned that CAD software is pretty much a done deal these days and people use what they use and the real development and subsequent market is currently in scanning and additive manufacturing. He has a point although it doesn't excuse the lack of bug fixes and updates. I was surprised that 3D Systems did not bother to show up to an event like this, particularly since their entire competition was there. Make of that what you will.

I went mainly to see to companies. Polymaker and 3Dfilaprint. Polymaker make an amazing range of filaments come highly recommended. I got many samples to try and their Polywood and Polysupport are getting great reviews across the board. 3Dfilaprint have a reputation as the best filament supplier in the UK and it was great to finally meet the team. Beyond that I met many more great companies from across the globe.

To top it off I also got to meet Chris from 'Explaining The Future' and James from 'XRobots'. If Barnacules was there it would have beat Christmas...

To follow, some photos...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The printer has two gantries allowing large prints to be finished in half the time.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This fuses carbon fibre with PLA. Rock hard prints!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2

bigseb

Alibre Super User
A filament extruder!

This is the hybrid CNC mill/laser sintering machine

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3

bigseb

Alibre Super User
A 3D print engine block. Truck size! In steel.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 2

bigseb

Alibre Super User
BB-8. One of Jame's (XRobots) creations

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1

bigseb

Alibre Super User
And lastly... the loot! So much of it!

This isn't just the run of the mill PLA stuff either. I have stainless steel infused filament, graphene infused filament, polypropylene filament, PET-G, ColorFabb N-gen, various flexible filaments, etc. :D Happy dance.

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 6

ajayre

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
3Dfilaprint have a reputation as the best filament supplier in the UK and it was great to finally meet the team.

I bought some filament from them about 1.5 years ago and it was fine. A couple of months ago I needed some more but I had a couple of questions. I contacted them through their website several times but no answer. I went elsewhere. I figured they were not interested in my business.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I'm not going to downplay your experience, mine was very different is all I can say.

On a different note, I got to take a very close look at several of the big name 3D printers and was very shocked in some cases and very amazed in others. Take Ultimaker for example. Highly rated by most people. Must be because of looks and marketing because what I saw was rather disappointing. They very neatly made but appear, to my engineering eyes, very flimsy. After seeing them close-up I would definitely not ever buy an Ultimaker. I expect the cheaper chinese brands to be flimsy and poorly engineered but not Ultimaker and particularly not a £2500 printer. Compared to some other brands Ultimaker is a toy and I personally feel that brands like Mass Portal, Zortrax and Tiertime were years ahead of Ultimaker. Polaroids was also rather disppointing. Their printer weren't bad, just very uninspired

Which brings me to my next point... the amazing ones. Mass Portal is a brand I was not familiar with but their printers are top notch. Watching them was a pleasure and all the prints they produced were very neat. The star of the show though were Tiertime. Should I invest in a new printer it will be the Up Mini 2 or the Up Box. These printers deliver professional grade prints that, in my opinion, showed Stratasys the door. The Up Mini 2 only has a build volume of 120cm cubed but the print quality was out of this world. And only costs £500. The Up Box is the same but has a volume of 250x200x200.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
If you got to see the Raise3D lineup, what did you think of that?

Zortrax seems to be making good use of that black statue at the events it goes to; I printed the modular arm that they also bring to shows and it looks pretty impressive from a foot or two away.

The news from the GeoMagic Design resellers don't sound too promising.