What's new

Thread not showing

MainJet

When using the hole tool and creating a thread, the thread is not showing nor does it print when printing a 3D part.
How do I make it print the tread ?

K

K -- you can't as the Thread Tool only provides information for Views in Drawings. You can blame this on the "agreements" that took place shortly after STEP (ISO-10303) became the "international standard" for engineering information exchange.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Using the helical tools.

Note that you should only model thread where really necessary as helical operations bog the computer down (very resource demanding).

MainJet

Oh, bugger
That makes it quite time consuming doing drawings for 3D prints.
I know threads take up memory and slows everything down a bit but for some reason I thought you could just turn all threads on/off on a model/assembly. I was obviously wrong.

Thanks anyway.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Oh, bugger
That makes it quite time consuming doing drawings for 3D prints.
I know threads take up memory and slows everything down a bit but for some reason I thought you could just turn all threads on/off on a model/assembly. I was obviously wrong.

Thanks anyway.
A tip:

Keep a set of male/female thread saved on your PC. Then if you need to create a threads for printing you can simply boolean subtract them from your part.

Seems much easier if Alibre could keep the threads on the toolbar or in the hole tool.
K
When you define a Thread (Male or Female) you should change the "Descriptor" in the Design Explorer to the designation used for the Thread. Now, as somebody who learned Threading from FED-STD-H28, I do realize that few today know the (back when we had Standards) Formal Designation for size, type, and class of Threads.