What's new

Tight Bends in Sheet Metal

wsimonton

I am trying to replicate a real world sheet metal application which I produced in a solid model - Coal Bunker Shell attached. The area I am having trouble with is the bend where one side overlaps the other and the two sides are riveted together. I reproduced the bend in the one piece solid model but cannot get the bends to work in Sheet Metal.

Since the bends were made in the real world, one should be able to reproduce them in Alibre Sheet Metal. I have attached the Right Side Sheet Metal Part (no tight bends) and my attempt at the Left Side with the tight bends which create the 1/4" offset. I actually measured the offset and the spacing of the bends so they are close to the real world as reproduced in the solid model.

Attachments

• Coal Bunker Shell.AD_PRT
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Coal Bunker Right Side.AD_SMP
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Coal Bunker Left Side.AD_SMP
    269.5 KB · Views: 6

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I reproduced the bend in the one piece solid model but cannot get the bends to work in Sheet Metal.
RMB click on the Sheet Metal in the Design Explorer and check the status. The first time you check status it will warn you about a missing Tangent constraint. After adding the tangent constraint you'll get a status that the bend is less than the Global Bend Radius. Increase the inside arc or make the Global Bend Radius smaller. Your Inside radius of .100" means that the outside radius must be .350", not the .250" you have in the sketch.
Also, put some dimensions on your sketches. How are you going to control feature sizes if you don't dimension sketches?

I am trying to replicate a real world sheet metal application which I produced in a solid model - Coal Bunker Shell attached. The area I am having trouble with is the bend where one side overlaps the other and the two sides are riveted together. I reproduced the bend in the one piece solid model but cannot get the bends to work in Sheet Metal.
Your problem is (almost certainly) with the "K-Factor" (more properly called the :Lockheed K-Factor") used by modern CAD programs to approximate Bend Allowance values. The attached PDF should explain the misinformation behind the Lockheed K-Factor

Attachments

• k-Factor 20150711.pdf
    897.5 KB · Views: 8

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Bill.
I have corrected your Coal Bunker.
Your trouble was made by radi at the criple where the to part is riveted.
And when countor base extrusing is used there shall be one straight line in sketch
and arcs shall have tangentiel connecting with the lines.
The file show them superimposed you can see them by using hide.

Attachments

• CoalBunkerSuperimposed (1).AD_PKG
    958.2 KB · Views: 4

wsimonton

Thanks Bent. In my own sketch I still cannot get the Sheet Metal Left Profile to work even modified with the parameters set like yours so I used yours. I will give it another go as I want to figure it out. Attached is the complete assembly sans rivets. The frame is welded so done as one piece.

Attachments

• Coal Bunker Sheet Metal Assembly.AD_PKG
    3.5 MB · Views: 3