What's new

Tips - API / Macro user performance tips.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
I decided to repost this tip and others for those who use that API or other macro software which involves swaps between assembly and parts or repetitive repositioning an assembly.

RCH_Projects said:
I used too crank it up above 50% (per task manager).

I used a macro and "edit here" in an assembly using 1/5 degree increments to spline build with project to sketch.
It was murder and chewed up 2-3 meg after 50-60 points.

Then I found that if I turned off the ribbon it cruised and sipped memory - FYI.

MKR said:
@RCA_Projects
Thank's I will try turning off ribbon.

1. Clearly ribbon changes are a huge memory leak and progressively slow the software and devour memory.

<ctrl - shift - o> (Oh) or

and

Attachments

• Use Ribbon.jpg
    Use Ribbon.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 16
  • System Options.jpg
    System Options.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 14

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Another huge one is Animation view.

2. While you're in System options (above) set off animation if your going to reposition the assembly a lot.

Attachments

• Animate off.jpg
    Animate off.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 9

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
This one tore me up until very recently.

Requiring a high resolution spline of thousands of points, the built in sketch "Insert from file" was a non-starter (if it ever finished at all).

I hobbled together "Extrude cut" spline pieces over multiple sketches and could produce a usable solution.

Then I figured out the issue.

3. Set display Facet resolution to minimum.

I've always had it set to fine for everything. Imagine though what it went through trying to tweak the images between thousands of points (when the visual resolution would be ok with lines between points).

I now use "Insert from file" and need only wait a "while". You can restore settings after doing splines.

These are the "BIG THREE".
These and an Excel macro cut spline rebuilds from days to about an hour.

I'll post the Excel example when I can clean it up. Faster if requested.

You can do some stuff like choose value to increment, select the point to record the position of, select to keep XY and/or Z, swap XYZ, Select XYZ, add offset from center.
(Some spreadsheet knowledge helps).

Attachments

• resolution.jpg
    resolution.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Big question is ... can these setting be controlled through th API. I.e Can this be done as the first steps of a script rather than a manual change?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
simonb65 said:
Big question is ... can these setting be controlled through th API. I.e Can this be done as the first steps of a script rather than a manual change?

My thoughts exactly. A standard software practice should consist of recording the current values, perform the operation and restore the original settings.

But I should have mentioned;

After changes are made it is best to restart GD to free memory and have the cleanest execution in memory,

Smaller operations will not need these gyrations. Really big ones (thousands of points for acute simulation needs) may need GD restart to save work and clear memory after each step if only for software/OS stability; Input from file, restart GD, offset, restart GD, and so on as seen fit for the particular conditions. I always have "Task Manager" running on a screen to watch the computer.

If the settings are available through the API it is a good idea. Thanks!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
While in an assembly; you can also turn off Auto Regenerate in the tools menu to save time. Turning it off will prevent changes in a part from automatically being applied to the whole assembly while still editing the parts "Here" or in a "Separate Window". Manually Regenerate to update after then.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
SMH! Focusing on design concerns I overlook some on hand solutions.

At 3601 points I was again creating individual splines for extrude cuts and burning a lot of time (varying splines).

I bought a copy of Alex Frankes point import wizard but had not recently reinstalled it, found a copy or even knew if it was still compatible.

However I forgot about the app by Joachim found here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10730

It permits a spline generation without "points", making memory overhead negligible with even 3601 points and has many options.