What's new

To upgrade or not....that is the question

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
All,
I'm debating an upgrade from my version of Alibre Pro 12 to Expert and wanted to get some feedback on the features and benefits as they apply to my usage.
looking at the comparison page I would distill the difference between Pro & Expert as:
Vault
Motion
CAM
Machinist Toolbox
PhotoRender -> Hypershot (for me)

My version of AD Pro already includes the Vault feature (due to the vintage of my original purchase) but It also only includes Photorender instead of the Hypershot included with the present version of Pro & Expert.
I dont use photorendering much, but I might if I could get results as shown in some of the Hypershot examples.

Question 1. It is my understanding that I would get Hypershot HD. Does everyone think that Hypsht HD largely fulfills their photorendering needs?

Question 2. 3D pdf creation is rather important to me. When first added as a feature, it seems like the Pro version of AD came with a more capable version of 3D pdf creation (All or part of the actual Acrobat program). I dont think this is the case any longer. I tried to look into this on the Alibre website they showed the following example: https://www.alibre.com/assets/radialexplode.pdf This example has some kind of embedded hot links that I dont think I can do with AD Pro. Radialexplode.pdf was created in 2006, so I suspect that it is not a fully legitimate example of the present capabilities of what I would get with AD Expert

So...Does the Pro version of have a more capable 3D PDF creation tool?

Question 3. I'm working with client using Inventor and I anticipate the need to import & export Solidworks files in the future. AD Expert comes with Translate. Does anyone have opinions on the competance, good or bad, of the Translate utility?

I really dont have much need of the other known features that a Pro -> Expert upgrade would provide (Motion, CAM) CAM seems to be primarily for Machining operations. I sure could use an interface to AMADA CNC punching equipment.

Thanks for your thoughts,
jimpulse

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Jimpulse said:
Question 1. It is my understanding that I would get Hypershot HD. Does everyone think that Hypsht HD largely fulfills their photorendering needs?
I'm not sure how you got that impression, Jim? AFAIK, it's still the web version..

I don't think Expert has any more tools than Pro for PDF publishing..

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
As Miles says, Hypershot Web only (just look at the Bunkspeed price list for HD!!) - Hypershot is faster to get results with than the old PhotoRender, but I find the pixel limit in Web version so annoying that I've gone back to using PhotoRender.

Expert does have extra 3D PDF capability (animated exploded views).

Translate - I've tried with a few file formats to help others out - problems with some very large files, problems with files that other systems also had issues with. Seems OK with simpler stuff (based on quite limited use).

CAM - it's only the Xpress variant, very limited.

I'd ask Alibre to confirm exactly what you would get - the product specs have been changing quite a lot over recent months with very little commentary from Alibre. There is a danger that we could mis-inform you by not being aware of some recent changes, or by not understanding how Alibre will regard the difference between your (old spec) Pro and (current spec) Expert.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Miles...
My error on the Hypershot HD comment....I had a senior moment.... really did not find much on the Bunkspeed website as far as capabilities go, though.

David...Exactly the input I was looking for, I thought that I recall some limitations with the Web version, though I must say, a pixel limited rendering that looks good may still be better than what I've been able to do with Photorender.

Glad to hear that there is some extra features with the 3D PDF capabilities. I was hoping though, to be able to add or edit some part info in the Adobe Part tree.
If not, It looks like the main feature of an upgrade for me is the Translate utility.

Thanks to both of you for the input.
-jimpulse

dave2962

As far as an interface to Amada, check out a program called Gpuncher. I use it to program a Pega 344 every day. You can export a 2d dxf file from Alibre and import it into Gpuncher and very quickly produce a program. The cost is only $525. Unbelievable for a program with the capabalities it has. If you are familiar with this type of software you know it typically costs $5000 or more. The only drawback is the documentation is very limited.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Jim,

The Hypershot Web version will render up to 360000 pixels. You can set the aspect ratio to whatever you like :)

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Ralf....
Of all the things I ever lost, I guess i miss my mind the most.

Thanks for reminding me that I lost it! :?

Wing-Nut

Jimpulse said:
Ralf....
Of all the things I ever lost, I guess i miss my mind the most.

Thanks for reminding me that I lost it! :?

So have you decided to up grade?? I was thinking about going from V12 Pro to Expert this year too but needed more inspection instruments.
The inspection instruments won the toss due to incoming work.

dmerrll

I would not. After Using and learning Alibre for 5 years I have come to believe it is not nor cannot work for me consistently. The company must operate on a shoestring. Support is ............................ not worth the time nor the money. I having been using Expert for several years. I also attempt to use Alibre cam since it's offering, Professional, even sold ONECnc Xr2 beacuse I trusted Alibre would upgrade the Cam in 2007 like they said. So no I would not waste the time which is more valuable than the purchase price.
David

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
So have you decided to up grade?? I was thinking about going from V12 Pro to Expert this year too but needed more inspection instruments. The inspection instruments won the toss due to incoming work.

I inquired with AD sales about any benefits of which I might not be aware. The general thinking is that there is NO difference between the PDF generator in the two versions. I dont have any use for the CAM capabilities and Hypershot HD is more of a luxury than a need. So it comes down to the effectiveness of the Translate program. I have enough background with CAD translators of all stripes to be skeptical of it's competence. So before I lay down any money I would need to try it on some of the actual files I'd be using. AD Sales is looking into what it will take for me to do a trial of just the Translate program or the entire package, but I have not heard back.

-jimpulse